DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Heating & Cooling (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   Heat ? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=64721)

sgreen3 10-28-2010 08:31 PM

Heat ?

The truck in my sig for some reason is not blowing heat when switched to heat. I noticed the temp gauge rising an falling on the way home driving today. It will be in the middle an then go up an then fall back to the middle. Also noticed that air will start blowing out of the vents for no reason for a few seconds then it will stop when the switch is in the off position. Also it will blow out good an hot for like 5 seconds then turn to cold Any ideas? Thanks

RootBeer 10-28-2010 11:16 PM

Lot of things. First that comes to mind is when was the last time the entire cooling system including heater core were flushed and back-flushed? Second when was the thermostat changed?

As for the blower coming on by itself, that's an electrical problem. Switch sounds goofy to me. But could be other issues.

RamTech 10-29-2010 09:19 AM

The heat coming and going sounds like a low coolant level. Start there. As for the blower motor, you may have a bad switch. Does it work correctly on other speeds?

sgreen3 10-29-2010 05:35 PM

well i flushed the system today an installed a new t-stat. deffinatly needed done, it was like mud in there. I got the heat wrkin a lil bit now but still dont seem to be as warm as it should. Could you explain the back flush a lil more? Im pretty sure i didnt do that lol. an it seems to not be builing pressure? Thanks for ne an all help!

RootBeer 10-29-2010 05:55 PM

Hate to say it but I hope you didn't put all fresh new coolant in yet.

Here's how I would do it.

1. Drain the radiator.
2. Disconnect top and bottom hoses from the radiator.
3. Stuff the hose in the top port of the radiator and pump water through until it comes out nice and clear at the bottom.

4. Leave the radiator disconnected.
5. Disconnect both heater hoses.
6. Using low pressure at least until you get a nice clear stream flush the radiator using the top hose or port/connection.

7. Repeat the process with the bottom heater hose.

Once you have nice clear water coming through the heater you can increase water pressure but don't get carried away. Last thing you want is to blow out the heater core.

Button it all back up. Put WATER in the radiator. Run the truck till the temp gauge reads normal, you want the t-stat to open up. Turn on the heater to full hot. You should now have nice hot heat.

Once that's all done, shut down the truck and let it cool down. Drain all that water out which should be pretty clear.

Close up the drain and put in nice fresh coolant.

I agree with Ramtech, your blower switch is likely shot. You'll need to attend to it before you can do what I've written above.

sgreen3 10-29-2010 09:28 PM

Ok thanks for the help. I did notice a wile ago when i went to town that you can here water gurgle from the heater box when you first start to excelarate. it will do this a few times an then it will stop untill you shut it of an come back to go somewere else again an it will do it again? Any ideas on why its not building ne pressure? I did put a new rad cap on? Thanks for the help greatly appreciated!

Toms Blue Ram 1500 10-29-2010 10:05 PM

Whenever you service the cooling system it is good practice to replace the radiator cap also . They don't last forever and their not real expensive .

sgreen3 10-30-2010 08:01 AM

Yea i put a new one on

sgreen3 10-30-2010 07:06 PM

Well I back flushed an everything, seems to have pretty good heat now. But for some reason still not building any pressure in the system. Kinda wired but its not overheating