DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Exhaust (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Stock 4.7L Exhaust....sounds aftermarket? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=64750)

bigedschukar 10-29-2010 11:13 AM

Stock 4.7L Exhaust....sounds aftermarket?

Hey Guys,

I've had my used 2009 4.7L QC SLT for a week now, and this morning I noticed something. The exhaust sounds real tough....deep and throaty and good! At first glance it looks stock... the tailpipe looks stock, no shiny chrome tip, it's side exit, etc. I haven't crawled under her to have a look to see if it's aftermarket, but I'm wondering if this is normal for the 4.7L?

Thanks, Ed

jpaul51 10-29-2010 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigedschukar (Post 345894)
Hey Guys,

I've had my used 2009 4.7L QC SLT for a week now, and this morning I noticed something. The exhaust sounds real tough....deep and throaty and good! At first glance it looks stock... the tailpipe looks stock, no shiny chrome tip, it's side exit, etc. I haven't crawled under her to have a look to see if it's aftermarket, but I'm wondering if this is normal for the 4.7L?

Thanks, Ed

I doubt it... Some swap the mufflers and leave the rest of the sytem the same. I bet that is what you have got. Take a look and let us know.

Bighorn5.7 10-29-2010 02:09 PM

does the 4.7 come with resonators? The previous generation only the hemi had one resonator on the tail pipe, so the 4.7 actually sound better stock then the hemi's. something to check?? Some one on here might now if they all have resonators on them now?

moparmanicac 10-29-2010 02:59 PM

Well if you listen to all trucks the Dodges 4.7 or hemi always have a nicer note than f--ds and gms

will1691 10-29-2010 07:19 PM

Quote:

Hey Guys,

Thanks, Ed

I have the same engine and yes mine sounds throaty too.. and with a cai intake on too she sounds even better

will1691 10-29-2010 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bighorn5.7 (Post 345987)
does the 4.7 come with resonators? The previous generation only the hemi had one resonator on the tail pipe, so the 4.7 actually sound better stock then the hemi's. something to check?? Some one on here might now if they all have resonators on them now?

Yea the new 4.7's have resonators

rob47v 10-29-2010 11:02 PM

yes mine does and it also sounds throaty. Hoping the MPG goes up getting about 17-18hwy.

09YellowCrew 12-08-2010 09:39 AM

they dont sound bad at all... for stock anyway. but my side exit (in the back) was turning my bumper black. so i cut mine underneath (at an angle so it still point down), just before that last 90 deg turn, and that made it sound even better.

09RAM4WD 12-08-2010 09:48 AM

bought my truck brand new still have stock exhaust, always get people asking if i have aftermarket exhaust...it is loud for being stock i like it

M n M 01-14-2011 02:58 PM

Quote:

Hey Guys,

Thanks, Ed

I just got a new 2010 in December and I noticed that at first start and up until it warms up it is deep and throaty. After it warms up it gets quieter but still sounds nice for a stock exhaust. Your going to have to crawl under her and see if the muffler is stamped with a brand name or not.