DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2009 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   4x4 abuse (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=64779)

redram33 10-29-2010 06:18 PM

4x4 abuse

Hi, I have a ram hemi crewcab 4x4 ,09,I live in Alberta and the roads are always slippery and snowy and icy etc. in the winter.How long can you leave 4x4 on without wrecking something,and what speeds is it safe on the 4x4 system to be driving at. All input and info would be greatly appreciated ,ty in advance:confused:

RootBeer 10-29-2010 06:57 PM

4H is safe at all speeds and won't hurt it. As for road conditions, as long as the road is not dry pavement, no problems.

1badram 10-29-2010 07:15 PM

Last winter I put my truck in 4x4 in December and didn't take it out till march (I would still take it out of 4x4 to park) and haven't had any problems.

redram33 10-29-2010 09:22 PM

I did the same thing you just described and got fluid leaking in my driveway,took it to the dealer and they replaced a seal and said it should not be in 4x4 for a long time .I needed it in 4x4 the weather was so shitty but maybe I pushed it too hard.T he dealer fixed it but said I could be in for large bill if I dont watch it.It says 4x4 on the truck ,why cant you leave it in 4x4 all the time:doh:

dubstar 10-29-2010 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redram33 (Post 346169)
.It says 4x4 on the truck ,why cant you leave it in 4x4 all the time:doh:

because..... its not a permenant 4 x 4 like say a subaru.

when you put a 4x4 in to 4x4 mode it locks the differential /driveshafts etc.. therefore the wheels dont spin freely so when you turn left or right the oposite wheels turn futher or shorter than the other, when they are locked together they have to turn the same distance (which they cant o they need slip) so it puts big pressure on the drive line parts especially if its on dry pavement. so eventually things break. if you want something in 4x4 all the time buy an AWD as they are designed for that.

no 4x4 is designed to be left in 4x4. if the pavement is too dry for the wheels to slip then dont leave it in 4x4 or you will get a big bill.

awd vehicles have drivelines that allow the wheels to turn at different speeds so they are not locked together.... therefore they dont break.

i drove around in a 240sx with a welded dif and every corner thats tight or slow you can hear the wheels binding and locking up as they cant turn the same amount on a corner.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 10-29-2010 10:53 PM

My big thing is to make sure you keep the transfer case oil changed on a regular basis . I know on my '01 , it only holds a little over a quart of oil . So it doesn't take much to take it's toll on the fluid . I would recommend to ya to change it out and install a good quality synthetic like Amsoil .

redram33 10-29-2010 11:01 PM

how and where do i check the transfer case oil

Toms Blue Ram 1500 10-29-2010 11:56 PM

There should be 2 plugs on the backside of the transfer case itself . One low for draining , one up high for checking .

Kleeeen 10-29-2010 11:56 PM

I guess its safe to leave in 4x4 auto with no risk?