DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Heating & Cooling (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   A/C Compressor always on with fan? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=65240)

Dave Meyers 11-02-2010 09:44 PM

A/C Compressor always on with fan?

On my 2001 Ram 1500 Sport, it sounds like the a/c compressor is engaing whenever the blower fan is on, even when not in a/c mode. Could this be the case?

moparmanicac 11-02-2010 11:29 PM

Im not a mvac tech merely a regular hvac tech (ok so Im still in trade school but I am certified) and this does not sound right, but then again idk how your truck is but on my truck there is no way to have the fan on without a/c or heat going, so do you mean it sounds like the comp. is running while you have it in heat?

Dave Meyers 11-03-2010 04:41 AM

Yes. I'll pop the hood and watch it run today, then re-post. I believe it's supposed to do so in de-frost mode, to help dry out the air. But it sounds like mine is running even in heat, vent, etc.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 11-03-2010 05:56 AM

The compressor will run in A/C and defrost mode . You'll need to watch the operation of the clutch and report back to us .

GRich 11-03-2010 03:48 PM

Mines been doing that where it turns on every 10 sec then shuts off 10 sec even with the heat and A/C off. I thought it was normal!!

Dave Meyers 11-03-2010 03:54 PM

I looked at mine under the hood. Compressor not engaged unless on a/c or defrost. Not sure what I heard to make me think it was. I have read about others with the compressor stuck on tho. I don't like the compressor to be on if not necessary, wears it out and drains power. I like power.....I don't know why it would be on in the other positions.

CajunDodge 11-03-2010 04:38 PM

Tom is right on this and another way to tell without sitting there and watching it, when you park after running the A/C or defrost, you will notice it dripping water under your truck if the compressor has been running, which is normal.

- Cajun

Dave Meyers 11-03-2010 08:39 PM

I must have heard some other sensor or relay or something clicking. The a/c works as it should. Now, about that radio.....need to fix the left front spkrs. Shouldn't be rocket science, left rears work, so it must be wires. I ordered a Haynes manual for 17 cents and $4 shipping on Amazon so I can see how to get behind the radio to inspect the wires.

Dave Meyers 11-08-2010 12:58 PM

Solved...My a/c compressor runs in the "bilevel" position, even though there is no snowflake indicating that the a/c is activated. I don't know if there ever was a snowflake there and an overzealous detailer removed it, or it was never there. The a/c compressor does not run on vent or floor position, as expected. It would be intersting to know if other folks have a snowflake in bilevel position.

Okiespaniels 11-16-2010 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Meyers (Post 353663)
Solved...My a/c compressor runs in the "bilevel" position, even though there is no snowflake indicating that the a/c is activated. I don't know if there ever was a snowflake there and an overzealous detailer removed it, or it was never there. The a/c compressor does not run on vent or floor position, as expected. It would be intersting to know if other folks have a snowflake in bilevel position.

The bi level on my 2000 doesn't have a snowflake, and I'm positive that's factory.
And your compressor runs there, or rather it "cycles" there and on defrost to keep oil circulating through the system.