DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=199)
-   -   2011 Nav Review (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=65315)

RootBeer 11-03-2010 06:57 PM

2011 Nav Review

While at the dealer today for my oil change I met up with the salesman that worked with me on my purchase of RB. I asked if I could play with a 2011 Ram that has the new Nav system. He was all for it because he hadn't played with one yet himself.

We used a black sport CC as our test subject (nice Ram, looks sharp and no I'm not replacing RB.)

1. The system is in fact a Garmin system. When you first bring it up it looks just like the hand-held Garmin systems.

2. Finding a point of interest such as a store is easy as pie and it finds one locally instead of 200 miles away like the Navteq system does.

3. Address input was straight forward; enter city, house number, street name (no need to put w, e, s, n), it will determine the directions based on address number and if the number could be at both ends of a street (e, w, etc) it will give you the option to pick which one you want.

4. If you are taking a cross country trip you can set way-points and do other cool things with the nav as well.

Bottom line, if you want to pay the extra $$$ for the Nav in the truck rather than buying a hand-held for a couple hundred bucks or less, then I'd say the new nav system is the way to go.

I have no information on the cost to update the maps for the new systems. But I do know Garmin has a lifetime update available for their hand-held units for around $200 or less and would not be surprised if the same was available for the built-in units.

bryce05 11-03-2010 07:43 PM

Thats good to here I ordered it in my new sport and have heard a bunch of bad stuff from the last model

KennyPowers 11-03-2010 08:52 PM

Is it possible to swap out the standard stereo unit for a 2011 nav system? I'm leaning towards no because the nav system looks bigger, and the center trim has the automatic climate control incorporated in it.

RootBeer 11-03-2010 09:06 PM

Yes for about 3,000 if you want the same unit that's in the 2011. There are other systems available but I don't believe they have the Garmin based nav system you definitely don't want the Navteq system.

CanadianInfernoRed 11-03-2010 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KennyPowers (Post 349960)
Is it possible to swap out the standard stereo unit for a 2011 nav system? I'm leaning towards no because the nav system looks bigger, and the center trim has the automatic climate control incorporated in it.

What do you mean ... do you have a picture to help clarify?

KennyPowers 11-03-2010 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadianInfernoRed (Post 349979)
What do you mean ... do you have a picture to help clarify?

Sure. Here's an example of the nav system.
http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/y...oto_int_01.jpg
I'm assuming all models with the nav system have the digital/automatic climate control as well. It seems to me that the nav system looks bigger than the standard cd stereo system. So would it be as simple as popping out the regular cd player and sliding in the nav system?
http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/y...aminterior.jpg

RootBeer 11-03-2010 09:40 PM

Nav has nothing to do with the climate control. Your radio can be replaced with the radio that has the nav, but it'll cost you around 3,000.

KennyPowers 11-03-2010 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RootBeer (Post 350011)
Nav has nothing to do with the climate control. Your radio can be replaced with the radio that has the nav, but it'll cost you around 3,000.

I understand that. I just thought the center trim piece may be different due to that. Maybe I could find a wrecked one in a junkyard and rip it out and do it myself. Thanks for the information.

RootBeer 11-03-2010 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KennyPowers (Post 350022)
I understand that. I just thought the center trim piece may be different due to that. Maybe I could find a wrecked one in a junkyard and rip it out and do it myself. Thanks for the information.

Ah, now I understand. The center bezel is different for the touch screen (nav and non-nav) type radios than the one you showed in the second picture.

If you can find a 2011 in the junk yard with the Garmin nav system in it, let me know. :D

RansRAM 11-03-2010 10:38 PM

I thought that the centre trim piece is the same regardless of having the touch screen REN/RER or regular RES/RSC radio. Are they not both double DIN radios :4-dontknow:. Also, regular heating controls or auto controls should not make any difference. I'd like to know as well since I am planning on swapping my RSC radio for an Alpine or pioneer unit.