DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   4.7L (287 cu in) PowerTech V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   Sludge issues (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=65509)

canoeman16 11-05-2010 04:34 AM

Sludge issues

It seems that this engine has sludge build up issues. Can anyone tell me how to succesfully "DE-SLUDGE" this engine. How can I check to see if this is causing my engine to have a rough idle and no power. And last but not least - what is and how do you perform a "Leakdown Test"? After reading through 181 different threads in this forum, I am confident that you guys / gals will be able to answer my many questions. My truck and I await the rush of responses. :smileup:

RamTech 11-05-2010 08:21 AM

The only way to remove the sludge is to tear down the engine and clean it. Chemical cleaners that claim to remove sludge could cause it to accumulate in the oil pan and clog the pickup. A rough idle can be caused by several things. Start with cleaning out the throttle body and IAC motor/passages. If the engine hasn't had new plugs in the last 30k miles, throw in a fresh set. A leakdown test requires a leakdown tester and air supply from a compressor.

Dave.Hendrick 12-31-2010 11:39 AM

Sludge Issues

I kept losing oil pressure in my 02 4.7L, and read about the engine having Sludge issues. I drove it home from work, after getting home, and oil was still warm, I put a whole can of sea foam in the crank case. Drove it can to the quick lube, about 15 min drive at highway speed, and had the oil changed and filter changed. Had them put 5w-20 synthetic blend back in, and havent had a problem since! full oil pressure in less than a second, even after sitting all night outside in 16 degree weather. Also I picked up anywhere from 3 to 5 MPG! I will probably do this again before the next few oil changes... just to make sure

Burkdadhemi 01-07-2011 11:54 PM

Did you buy this truck used or have you owned it sense new ? Drain the oil and filter buy some cheap oil like Autozone brand and dump it in with a quality filter and a qt of marvel mystery oil, let it run until it warmed up drain it and let it drain for awhile the dump a couple of qts thru it while the drain plug is still out. Once it is done draining put some Pennzoil 10w-30 and a quality filter like Mobil-1, K&N, Wix, STP and even Bosh run it for about a 1000 mile and drain it,new filter again. Sound like your using cheap oil and going to far between oil changes.

337ram 02-08-2011 08:11 AM

Would running a full synthetic help this out????Dont know was just asking. I would think it would with a better shearing then dino oil

Burkdadhemi 02-08-2011 08:33 AM

Not really, Changing your oil at the recommend or before will. Did you get it cleaned out.

Zippo973 02-09-2011 02:34 AM

I've had bad luck with Pennzoil, switched to Valvoline

Zippo973 02-09-2011 02:36 AM

That was a long time ago, I think all oils on the market today are pretty good

SeaCaptain 03-26-2011 04:00 PM

My wifes 02 durango does the same thing...Full tank premium gas ,drive hard,injector cleaner once in a while for the sludge issues replace the 195 deg thermostat with a 180 deg.The reason is at 195 the oil will start to boil therefore creating steam.the 180 will make a diff,and for the really cold winters just make a cover for the rad to partially cover to keep some heat and less wind through the rad......Paul

CHVYKLR 03-26-2011 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaCaptain (Post 483324)
My wifes 02 durango does the same thing...Full tank premium gas ,drive hard,injector cleaner once in a while for the sludge issues replace the 195 deg thermostat with a 180 deg.The reason is at 195 the oil will start to boil therefore creating steam.the 180 will make a diff,and for the really cold winters just make a cover for the rad to partially cover to keep some heat and less wind through the rad......Paul

water boils at 212 degrees F. you can't get your engine hot enough to boil the motor oil.