DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Heating & Cooling (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   Heater not working (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=65564)

69speeder69 11-05-2010 08:57 PM

Heater not working

K so my next step is to replace the heater core. But today i noticed that with the truck at normal temp where the heater core is it is hot to the touch. Could it be something else, or should i just go ahead with the core swap?

RootBeer 11-05-2010 09:01 PM

If you are getting heat into the area where the core is and its not coming out, it sounds like the blend door is broken or disconnected.

If you switch it from floor to defrost does the air movement change to the defrost vents?

69speeder69 11-05-2010 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RootBeer (Post 351474)
If you are getting heat into the area where the core is and its not coming out, it sounds like the blend door is broken or disconnected.

If you switch it from floor to defrost does the air movement change to the defrost vents?

Yes when i switch from floor to defrost it does change to the defrost vents. How do i check the blend door? Where is it?

Toms Blue Ram 1500 11-06-2010 01:39 AM

Are the heater hoses under the hood hot to the touch ?

69speeder69 11-06-2010 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toms Blue Ram 1500 (Post 351693)
Are the heater hoses under the hood hot to the touch ?

Yes they are hot to the touch.

RootBeer 11-06-2010 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69speeder69 (Post 351513)
Yes when i switch from floor to defrost it does change to the defrost vents. How do i check the blend door? Where is it?

Now I'm not understanding your problem. If the heater is hot and you are getting air blowing out, what is it you are after?

Is the air coming out not hot regardless of switch position ie defrost, floor, vent, etc?

69speeder69 11-06-2010 02:22 AM

Ya whats happening is when i turn the heater on whether defrost floor or combo it will blow out fairly warm for about 5 seconds and then go to cool air. I have replaced the t-stat, also put a new radiator (not cause of the heater), am going to flush the system this weekend.

RootBeer 11-06-2010 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69speeder69 (Post 351718)
Ya whats happening is when i turn the heater on whether defrost floor or combo it will blow out fairly warm for about 5 seconds and then go to cool air. I have replaced the t-stat, also put a new radiator (not cause of the heater), am going to flush the system this weekend.

Ok, I'm going to try and break it down based on what you've said.

1. Both heater hoses are hot to the touch. Not the radiator hoses. This means the heater core is not blocked.

2. You can switch from floor to defrost so the door is working.

Certainly doesn't sound like a heater core issue to me. One other thing to look at is the temp control lever. Does the temp coming out change when moving the lever/knob?

That's about the only thing left in my mind.

69speeder69 11-06-2010 06:31 PM

Certainly doesn't sound like a heater core issue to me. One other thing to look at is the temp control lever. Does the temp coming out change when moving the lever/knob?

That's about the only thing left in my mind.[/QUOTE]

Yes when i move the temp knob it changes temp. Goes from ambient temp to air conditioning cold

69speeder69 11-07-2010 04:18 PM

Just started doing the flush and now the heater core is leaking. Had daD look at it and that is the problem