What did I do?
Hi yall, I just got a used 2500 360 5.9ltr.
The other day I noticed a burning smell, I popped the hood & there seemed to be a tiny bit of antifreeze spray on the block.
I loosened the rad cap, which seemed to be cool to the touch.
There was kind of a popping sound, when I went to tighten it back up a few seconds later it was super hot. & I seen the "DO NOT OPEN HOT" written on the cap.
Got back in started her up, within minutes the temp gauge was in the red.
There were bells & buzzers, flashing lights, I cranked the heat to try to cool it a bit but it just blew cold.
I was in rush hour. I kept putting it into neutral & coasting as much as I could which would bring it out of the red & the disco room would turn off.
But as soon as I put it back in drive the temp gauge would go back up in the red and the the party room would start again.
I stopped about half way home, @ a toys'r'us and used a hose & sprayed the rad for 1/2 hour, gave some one a jump start.
I went to a friends house on my way home, let it sit for about four hours.
It was completely cool when I left for home, on the drive home the temp gauge went to just over half way, but no heat would blow out, just cold.
Did I blow the thermostat? Or did I do something worse?
If any one knows of a video tutorial of how to change the thermostat, if that's the problem would be great.
sounds like a bad thermostat to me, id change it.
Never done it before, any tips to streamline the job.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
i dont know if there right but there ya go
this happened to me check your water pump mine went bad and that happened and how is your antifreeze fluid, also the only time my heat would blow hot is if i floored it for a sec
Not 100% sure what your running , model year , gas or diesel ? Make sure your full on coolant . It could be a bad thermostat . It is a bear to do on the 5.9 gas engines .
I just bought a 1998 ram 2500, 5.9 Magnum gas engine about a month ago.
When I was at my buddy's house last night the rad was full. My buddy wanted me to drive home with the rad cap on, but only loose.
I didn't think that was a good idea. told him not to, and checked to make sure it was tight. When I popped the hood today it was loose, and not full.
I'm assuming that the coolant just spurted out on the way home. I put 2 litters of fresh coolant in, that's all I had & topped up the rest with water.
I went out for about 10-15 min, after a couple min it started to blow hot air through the vents. The temp gauge never even got to half way, not sure if I just didn't drive it long enough to get that hot or ?
When I left buddy's last night, it had sat for about 4-5 hrs hood up & it was pretty chilly between 8-12 degrees so I think it was completely cold, I drove for about half n hour but there was NO heat at all.
Is it possible, that when I took the rad cap off when it was hot, that initial pop I heard caused the thermostat to jam up.
After writing that last bit, I remember it better.
I cracked the cap, & I could hear it start to bubble up. I never actually took it off. The steel center of the rad cap went from luke warm to real hot. After a few seconds of gurgling, I could hear it getting closer to the top, it started to squirt. I tightened it after about a spoon full leaked.
After starting it up, almost instantly in the red
Hope that helps shed some light on it
For starters, your coolant level is low and you have air in the system. This is why you have no heat - theres no hot coolant clowing into the heater core. Let's start with the easy stuff. First of all you need to refill the cooling system and try to determine the source if coolant loss. Leaks and old, worn out radiator caps are the most common causes. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you don't own or have easy access to a cooling system pressure tester which would test the system and cap both. The cap isn't a big deal to replace since they're cheap so you may want to do that when you refill the system. Once it's refilled, start the engine and let it reach normal operating temp. The system should now be under pressure which will make it easier to hunt down any leaks and you should have heat in the cab. If you smell coolant in the cab and the windows fog up when you turn on the defroster, you probably have a leaking heater core. Other possible causes of your problem could be a bad t-stat, clogged radiator, blown head gasket/cracked head, or water pump that isn't flowing what it should but from what you describe, it's not likely to be that serious.
Well the over heating problem seems to have fixed itself, I topped up the fluid.
I'm so glad I didn't **** it up, I've only had it about a month. Thanks for all the help.
I'll get some pics up here in a few min.
I also have another problem, I'm gonna take some pics of it too.
So far it has stumped every one @ the dealership, I can't remember the name off the top of my head but I have the receipt in the truck. I'll take pics of the problem & receipt and post them up in a sec.
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:52 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger