DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram MPG Zone (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=237)
-   -   Huge gas mileage leap.......maybe (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=66236)

Otterdriver 11-13-2010 07:23 PM

Huge gas mileage leap.......maybe

So I have been barking up a gas mileage tree lately, studying the pros and cons of adding acetone to my gas in small metered amounts to boost mileage, I'm probably going to get roasted on this one since my truck is still new lol....(actually I haven't done it yet). There are alot of supporting studies leaning towards adding. Don't get me wrong, I didn't buy a hemi thinking I was going to be part of the "stellar gas mileage" club, in fact I have on several occasions managed 25 miles per imp/gal on its own which is quite respectable with about 4500 miles on my truck now. Please chime in if this would be making a mistake!:SHOCKED:

RootBeer 11-13-2010 07:38 PM

Haven't done any research on adding things to the gas to get more mpg. But, I will say this, if you have engine problems and they find anything in the gas you could likely have just bought the entire repair job.

CanadianInfernoRed 11-13-2010 07:53 PM

If you adjust your driving habits, you can come to expect 10.0l/100km as an average. I treat the Eco light like a video game ... the longer it stays on the more I win. The best I have ever got with the truck is 8.8 l/100km (it was on a day with a really good tail wind) I would not expect to get that often but atleast I know that if the conditions are right this truck can hold it's own with the mini vans.

sprintertech 11-13-2010 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otterdriver (Post 357836)
So I have been barking up a gas mileage tree lately, studying the pros and cons of adding acetone to my gas in small metered amounts to boost mileage, I'm probably going to get roasted on this one since my truck is still new lol....(actually I haven't done it yet). There are alot of supporting studies leaning towards adding. Don't get me wrong, I didn't buy a hemi thinking I was going to be part of the "stellar gas mileage" club, in fact I have on several occasions managed 25 miles per imp/gal on its own which is quite respectable with about 4500 miles on my truck now. Please chime in if this would be making a mistake!:SHOCKED:

look man short and sweet......if the auto manufacturers or the damn government thought this would work your truck would have been born with it......im sorry but this is the dumbest thing ive ever heard someone think about doing a brand new vehicle they intend to keep......give me a break....no i dont care what the studies say....:bsflag:

RansRAM 11-13-2010 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprintertech (Post 357895)
look man short and sweet......if the auto manufacturers or the damn government thought this would work your truck would have been born with it......im sorry but this is the dumbest thing ive ever heard someone think about doing a brand new vehicle they intend to keep......give me a break....no i dont care what the studies say....:bsflag:

That's pretty harsh :LOL: but I have to agree. Why risk putting in anything other than what it was designed to take. :doh: There's alot of computer control on this fuel system, dosen't make any sense to mess around with it.

jerry donihoo 11-13-2010 09:39 PM

Lucas fuel injector treatment has always been good to me,and it will help with mpg.I always buy the big bottle,and it will treat serval take full of gas

sprintertech 11-13-2010 09:45 PM

sorry to be harsh but:4-dontknow:

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/acetone.asp

GPSHSLAX 11-13-2010 09:53 PM

Snopes got the heart of the matter. You never see these things properly tested, and if you do they don't work. I've heard of the acetone as an adative story as well, but I don't put much stock in it. If it were really that simple the EPA would be mandating it be pre-added to fuel at the pump and instead we would have thread with people lambasting them for messing with our gasoline.

GPSHSLAX 11-13-2010 10:02 PM

On a side note, Acetone is a very power solvent. It's also entirely possible that some of the people whom are seeing gains are actually just cleaning their fuel injectors and would have seen the same result with any number a reputable fuel injector addatives. I would also suggest that, for the most part, the people willing to dump solvents in their tank based on internet recomendation are probably driving older vehichles in need of a good injector cleaning.

By the way, Acetone will eat through plastic, and to my knowledge all the gen 4 Rams have plastic fuel cells. You will get a sever decrease in milage if you eat your gas tank and dump all the fuel onthe roadway.

RansRAM 11-13-2010 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprintertech (Post 357905)
sorry to be harsh but:4-dontknow:

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/acetone.asp

Good find !!!! I think the following words from snopes.com sums it up quite nicely,

"Acetone is corrosive, which means it can eat away at rubber components such as gaskets and O-rings ...." :SHOCKED:

Good luck getting warranty work after putting this stuff in ........