DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Lifting via spacers vs via new struts (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=66302)

Tommy Behind The Deuce 11-14-2010 07:33 PM

Lifting via spacers vs via new struts

Lifting newb here, but curious to see what the experts here think.

The Superlift Bilstein kit achieves its lift via new front struts vs spacers on the struts - the spacers are how the majority of kits seem to lift the front. Not saying I am sold on superlift, still just investigating options. The shop here will get the Rancho kit installed with Bilstein shocks and no spacers for $2300.

So my question is, how advantageous is it to do away with spacers altogether in favor of new stuts, for off-road performance and and on-road ride quality?

An all-new factory coil spring / 4-link rear suspension mated to Dodge’s existing coilover strut front suspension has resulted in exceptionally good ride quality and control. With Superlift’s 4” and 6” lift systems, this “best in class” driveability remains intact, or arguably, it’s actually improved upon. Front lift is via your choice of strut towers (less expensive and easier to install), or Bilstein replacement strut cylinders, which noticeably improve handling at higher speeds.
On the rear, all 4-link-to-frame attachment points are relocated via one-piece, die-formed brackets, and new coil springs (not spacers) ensure proper functionality and ride quality.

ScatPak07 11-14-2010 07:40 PM

I was looking at getting those two lifts before and I was going to go with the Bilsteins. I believe the use of the Bilsteins brings the spring seat up to give the extra lift. I think it is like the Bilstein 5100s. I might be wrong but thats what I was under the impression of. The spacers are definitely not a bad way to lift the truck. I have a Fabtech lift kit and it uses a 4" spacer. The ride quality is wicked I have no complaints.

The Rancho kit only allows you to raise the truck by 4". This is because they use the same principles as the Bilstein 5100s. the spring seat will be raised by the use of Ranchos shock (Quick Lift). The other 2" of lift will be like every other lift, new steering knuckles.

Really in all honesty there is not a big difference with the ride quality with the spacers or the strut. I would personally go with the Superlift if I had to choose out of the 2. The spacer you never really have to worry about it breaking or anything. The spring seat might give way over time and lots of abuse.

Are you looking at getting a 4" or 6" lift? If you are debating between the two I would recommend going ll the way and get yourself a 6" lift. You will be much happier with that.

BigHorn 4 Life 11-14-2010 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScatPak07 (Post 358494)
I was looking at getting those two lifts before and I was going to go with the Bilsteins. I believe the use of the Bilsteins brings the spring seat up to give the extra lift. I think it is like the Bilstein 5100s. I might be wrong but thats what I was under the impression of. The spacers are definitely not a bad way to lift the truck. I have a Fabtech lift kit and it uses a 4" spacer. The ride quality is wicked I have no complaints.

The Rancho kit only allows you to raise the truck by 4". This is because they use the same principles as the Bilstein 5100s. the spring seat will be raised by the use of Ranchos shock (Quick Lift). The other 2" of lift will be like every other lift, new steering knuckles.

Really in all honesty there is not a big difference with the ride quality with the spacers or the strut. I would personally go with the Superlift if I had to choose out of the 2. The spacer you never really have to worry about it breaking or anything. The spring seat might give way over time and lots of abuse.

Are you looking at getting a 4" or 6" lift? If you are debating between the two I would recommend going ll the way and get yourself a 6" lift. You will be much happier with that.

I agree totally!! :smileup:

Tommy Behind The Deuce 11-14-2010 10:16 PM

Lots of good info in your post. Thx for the detailed info.

I am unsure on whether to lift or not and, if so, which height to get. One thing that is appealing about the Rancho is that I can use stock wheels if I want, which will let me make a decision on that separately from the lift.

I may just get the 5100's and call it a day and not get the lift. In all honesty that would be plenty for all intents and purposes - any lift beyond that would be for cosmetics only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScatPak07 (Post 358494)

BigHorn 4 Life 11-14-2010 11:14 PM

Well if you do shocks only to lift your truck you will need to be very careful about your cv's.Could we see a pic your front axles just to see how much of an angle there at right now.You don't want to put your axles at too much of a pitch it will mess up your cv joints.

I would do a 6" it is only like 100.00-200.00 difference.I can get you a really good deal on a BDS lift too.4" or a 6".