DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   valve tick (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=66423)

RentalMan 11-16-2010 12:49 AM

valve tick

Just picked this truck up so I haven't done much research yet but at 210,000 miles the only problem it seems to have is a noisy ticking on cold starts, sounds like valvetrain noise. :4-dontknow:
Is this a fairly common problem with the 4.7? how long does yours "tick" on a cold start at 30*

RootBeer 11-16-2010 12:57 AM

I'd suggest an oil change with oil designed for the cold temps you have up there. Sounds like its taking time to build oil pressure.

RentalMan 11-22-2010 03:33 PM

Anyone else running synthetic oil? which brand? I am partial to Mobile1 but open to suggestions.

Before I change the oil I'm going to have a sample analyzed at the SOS lab at my work to look for problems. With 210,000 miles I should probably start keeping an eye out for a replacement with less miles.

Going to do a compression test also, What is acceptable compression on these?

I haven't looked for it yet but where might I find a port to tie in a mechanical oil pressure gauge?

Thanks in advance!

GTyankee 11-22-2010 04:18 PM

Mobile 1 oil is one of the best motor oils that you can buy, a friend of mine has over 500,000 miles on his 318 & he has not even had the heads off, although almost everything on the engine has been replaced
I suggest that you stay away from cheaper oil filters, buy a WIX, NAPA, Mopar, or equivalent oil filter, the cheaper oil filters tend to restrict the flow of the oil

you may want to read this:

Types of Oil Filters
•Oil filters that fall into the bad category are standard paper filters that have cardboard end caps. There have been problems reported where pieces of the paper or cardboard end up in unwanted places, such as the engine. Paper filters generally filter down to 40 microns

Advanced filters with oil filter elements made from paper, fiberglass and cellulose are effective down to 15 microns or less. Advanced filters also boast more surface area on their filter elements so they have more capacity to catch and hold debris in the oil. Some of the b est and most effective oil filters utilize several filtering elements rolled into one.

No oil filter is 100 percent effective. When shopping for oil filters, read your oil filter label to determine what type of filter element is being used as well as the claimed percentage of effectiveness.

Oil Filter Cross Reference Information
•The SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) run commercial oil filters through a series of tests before rating them. A single-pass test verifies contaminant holding capacity size, size of particles trapped and the ability to keep your oil clean. A multi-pass tests checks for filter life in hours and efficiency based on the weight of the oil being used.

For the most part, oil filters with paper filtration elements are interchangeable---read your vehicle maintenance manual for the exact filter size---and priced quite low. Typical testing numbers for paper element filters are 85 percent effectiveness on single-pass tests and 80 percent effectiveness on multi-pass tests. Comparable filters (with paper elements and cardboard end caps) are the Fram Extra Guard PH8A, the Fram Tough Guard TG8A and the Fram High Mileage HM8A.

Average efficiency oil filters (paper or cellulite filters with stamped-steel end caps) include the AC Delco Duraguard PF2, the Champion SF-1A, the Motorcraft Long Lasting FL-1A, the NAPA 1515 Gold and the Deutsch (Champion) D539. Best efficiency (advanced) oil filters (those with synthetic elements and stamped-steel end caps) include the Mobile 1 M1-301, the Bosche Purolator, the Hard Driver HD01, the K&N HP-3001 and the Pure One PL30001.

Read more: Cross Referance Guide for an Oil Filter | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/way_6039951_cros...#ixzz162n4x3xO

wthrmn12 12-23-2010 03:06 AM

it is a little more expensive but I have always used royal purple on all my vehicles and have always been happy with it. as for the tick it sounds like the oil is falling back down the head until the oil pump pushes it back up. but you may want to check your exhaust manifold to see if it is leaking.a small exhaust leak will cause it to tick until the gasket heats up and expands.

Mad Dog Tannen 12-23-2010 04:01 AM

You might want to adjust the valves but they are always "looser" when they are cold and can cause a little gap if they are not adjusted within limits.

bigred0603 02-17-2011 12:52 AM

so would a tick be normal like the hemi

Sgtpap 03-06-2011 01:04 PM

I have had that ticking sound now for a couple of years and a few friends of mine have had the same. Yesterday I was changing out the front wheel bearing assembly and looked at the exhaust manifold ports. One of the bolts was missing and could see carbon deposits on the gasket. I bought a bolt and installed it; this morning at about 30 degrees outside I have no ticking noise on start up! Who would of thought... INSPECT your manifolds for missing bolts!!! Common problem...