DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Recalls and TSB's. (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   2009 Dodge Ram's have unsafe jacks (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=66453)

mineralram 11-16-2010 02:50 PM

2009 Dodge Ram's have unsafe jacks

Found this on my car stats.com

Yes, include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10358018

Component: UNKNOWN OR OTHER

Details: WE OWN A 2009 1500 DODGE TRUCK AND WERE STRANDED IN THE HIGH DESERT FOR WELL OVER TEN HOURS UP OFF OF HIGHWAY 377 IN NORTHREN ARIZONA WE WE HAD A FLAT WE PROCEEDED TO TAKE THE JACK THAT WAS BRAND NEW WE WERE JACKING THE TRUCK UP WHEN THE FRIST EXTENSION END TORE LIKE IT WAS SOFT METAL SO WE DISCARDED THE FIRST EXTENSION AND PROCEEDED TO USE THE SECOND WHICH ALSO TORE SO I USED THE LAST EXTENISON AND THEN THE HOOK THAT WAS CONNECTED TO THE JACK BECAME TWISTED AND COULD NO LONGER BE USED THIS STRANDED US IN A PLACE THAT WHERE WE COULD NOT BE LOCATED WE CALLED ROADSIDE EMERGENCY SERVICE AND WAS TOLD BY DISPATCHER THAT HE HAD PIN POINTED US AND THAT THEY WOULD SEND OUT A TOW TRUCK BUT THEY STILL COULDNT FIND US WITH THE COORIDANATES THAT WE GAVE HIM . SO WE TURNED TO TRIPLE A WHO WE BELONG TO WE ALSO CALLED 911 . WE WERE TOLD BY TRIPLE A TOW TRUCK DRIVER THAT WE SHOULD DRIVE ON FLAT TIRE TO HIGHWAY 377 IF WE WANTED HELP SO WE PROCEEDED TO DO SO AND WAS THIS TOW DRIVER WRONG IT CAUSED MAJOR DAMAGE TO THE TRUCK AND IT TOTALLY STOPPED RUNNING AND IS NOW AT POWER DODGE IN PHOENIX AZ . WE WRE FINALLY FOUND BY THE HOLBROOK SHERIFF DEPARTMENT SARGENT PRICE AND THE NAVAJO DISPACTHER FOUND US BY THE COORDINATES THAT WE PROVIDED FROM OUR GPS WHICH WAS SOME TIME THE NEXT MORNING WE ARE BOTH DISABLED AND DID NOT HAVE OUR MEDS UNTIL TWO DAYS LATER WHEN WE GOT HOME ALL BECAUSE OF THIS DEFECTED JACK THAT WAS PROVIDED WITH TRUCK . EXCUSE THIS IF IT IS CONFUSING BECAUSE IVE HAD MY MEDS BUT AM STIIL CONFUSED SLIGHTLY.

Occurrences: 1 Injuries: 0
Fail Date: 09/25/2010 Deaths: 0
Date added to datbase: 9/28/2010

[FILE] your own complaint on this model car.

RamTex 11-16-2010 03:00 PM

WOW is all i can say on this one, how hard is it to operate a jack? Probly didnt even read the instructions which may have caused the malfuntion. And how disabled where these people to be strong enough to tear up an extension. Im calling BS but hey i guess anything is possible. Poor Saps...

RamTech 11-16-2010 03:06 PM

Even if the jack were faulty, it's hardly Chryslers fault that the numerous people they called for assistance couldn't find them and they there were foolish enough to drive on a flat tire. Sometimes crazy things happen and this is why I carry an extra days dose of meds with me in my truck. Someone will have to explain to me how being stranded for 10 hours causes them to miss 2 days worth of meds. Even if I were stranded out of town, I could call my doctors office and have them phone in a prescription to the nearest pharmacy.

moparornocar72 11-16-2010 06:44 PM

i don't even have any words for this one.

rtkman 11-16-2010 07:54 PM

I do agree most jacks are crap but they do work if you use them according to the instructions. I'm not sure about the new Rams but I know the 08 and older ones had an issue where you couldnt get the jack out from under the seat because the retaining bolt goes through the floor and is exposed to the elements. It rusts so bad you can't get it out. I had a customers 08 on a test drive and had a flat. It took me like 30 mins to change the dang tire because of that stupid bolt wingnut thingy. This reminds me I better check and see if this one is the same crazy design.

RainmanX 11-16-2010 08:48 PM

I don't know about the 08, but the 10 has a crazy wingnut that goes through the floor and can get to the elements.

RansRAM 11-16-2010 09:50 PM

Well I'm surprised by this. I have actually tried my jack to make sure it works, and it does. No problems whatsoever. Guess you had to be there to understand what they did to it.

rick980 11-17-2010 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainmanX (Post 360253)
I don't know about the 08, but the 10 has a crazy wingnut that goes through the floor and can get to the elements.

Oh thanks for reminding me....mine has two spots for said wingnut so one hole is open all the time. My jack works I used it.
Now our 08 Avenger the jack basically twisted and bent after 2 uses.

RamTech 11-17-2010 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainmanX (Post 360253)

Putting a coat of grease or antiseize on the threads now can save a lot of grief down the road.

CajunDodge 11-17-2010 05:25 PM

While that story seems to me to stand on the edge of credibility, it does remind me, yet again, that I need to purchase a jack to keep in my truck as I never really have cared for the ones that come with the vehicle.

- Cajun