DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Exhaust (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Question on replacing factory Y-Pipe.... (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=66803)

City Slicker 11-21-2010 12:34 AM

Question on replacing factory Y-Pipe....

Hey guys!

I'm wanting to replace my factory y-pipe with a MagnaFlow one. I went to a shop to get an idea of much it would cost to buy & install one. The pipe wasn't that expensive, but the install was a little... much... He explained it as a real PITA to do, upwards of 4 hours of labor. Is it really that difficult? He never went out and looked at my truck, but he seemed certain, so I don't know. As always, any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

Juice420 11-21-2010 12:42 AM

I was thinking of replacing mine also. It doesn't surprise me that the mechanic didn't even look at your truck. I went through the same thing when I had my Flowmaster put on.
BTW what did they quote you?

GPSHSLAX 11-21-2010 10:13 AM

Yeah, what was the quote. I've wondered the same thing. The two pipes comeig into the stock Y are really close together and I wondered if they would have to be: A. rebent; B. cut farther back and have new peices weld to come down to the Y.

I didn't do the Y-pipe with the rest of my exhaust because the shop owner recomended I wait till the Cats were no longer under warrenty. He said since our cats are welded rather than bolted into the pipes from the exhaust manifold someing back to the Y chrysler treats the whole thing as one unit and if you cut into it they won't warrent the Cat's anymore either. I figured it was a pretty strong warning given he was turning down work. On the other hand, maybe it's just a PIA like your guy said and he didn't want to get into it.

City Slicker 11-21-2010 12:20 PM

The quote was a little over $300. I paid $350 for the installed MagnaFlow muffler, pipe, and tip. Like I said, I really don't know what's involved with the install, so it could be a normal price. But I'll probably get another quote & compare the two.

Juice420 11-21-2010 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSPTYWCADET09 (Post 363616)
The quote was a little over $300. I paid $350 for the installed MagnaFlow muffler, pipe, and tip. Like I said, I really don't know what's involved with the install, so it could be a normal price. But I'll probably get another quote & compare the two.

Wow that's a little pricey. I only paid $190 to have my Flowmaster welded in.
Yeh, I would def. get another quote. I was thinking along the lines of no more than $100 parts and labor.

City Slicker 11-21-2010 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juice420 (Post 363773)
Wow that's a little pricey. I only paid $190 to have my Flowmaster welded in.
Yeh, I would def. get another quote. I was thinking along the lines of no more than $100 parts and labor.

Definitely pricey, I'm for sure getting a different quote. If it was $100, I'd be all over it. The y-pipe is like $30 online. If I get another quote this week, I'll let you guys know.

Juice420 11-21-2010 05:08 PM

Ok, so if it's $30 online that means they will charge you like $50-$70 at the shop, which means they want ~ $250 for install!!!! No thanks!!

City Slicker 11-21-2010 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juice420 (Post 363784)
Ok, so if it's $30 online that means they will charge you like $50-$70 at the shop, which means they want ~ $250 for install!!!! No thanks!!

Yup, that would have been a nice deposit in their bank account... too bad the joke's on them :hah:

Juice420 11-21-2010 05:41 PM

Gotta love the shops where on top of taking advantage of women, they try to take advantage of some guys.
When I was looking for someone to do my muffler I went to a shop and had some d-bag tell me that Magnaflow wasn't really a well known muffler, so they didn't carry it. Then proceeded to try to sell me some pos muffler. I just felt like telling him "Ok dude, just because I'm wearing baggy pants and a backwards hat doesn't mean I don't know about exhaust systems etc."

RamItAll 11-27-2010 03:48 PM

WOW thats crazy. when i went for a quote to put a y-pipe in place of my muffler it was $30 for the y and they said probably $75 all together after clamping it on (even though i was gonna do it myself) and to have some pipe fitted, bent, and welded for my duals it was like $120 for labor and parts. definitely look around man