DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Lets talk sludge (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=66862)

GregInAtl 11-21-2010 09:51 PM

Lets talk sludge

Dodge trucks are notorious for sludging, and I have seen it first hand in my own 4.7. I have seen the goo piled up on my oil cap and know that it can fill oiling ports and lead to an early demise for the motor. What can I do in my truck to fight what it currently has and prevent it in the future. Any products or recommendations?
My truck has an obvious audible tick (like a lifter) until it warms up. My guess is once the engine heats up enough the oil get to this area and silences it. Before I experience a problem, what do you guys know that works?

CdnoilRAM 11-21-2010 11:40 PM

a centrifugal oil filter and a synthetic oil would go a long way, but the most helpful would be a regular cleaning of the oil pan, there's no real 'fix' that I've heard of.

RamTech 11-22-2010 10:01 AM

What you see in the inside of your cap isn't always a good indicator of what the inside of the engine looks like. Mine looks pretty rough from time to time but I know the internals are clean. If you want to get a good idea of what's going on in your engine, pull a valve cover.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 11-22-2010 10:27 AM

A good way of fighting a sludging problem is more frequent oil changes and/or running a good quality synthetic oil like Amsoil .

OldMoparMan63 11-23-2010 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamTech (Post 364315)
What you see in the inside of your cap isn't always a good indicator of what the inside of the engine looks like.

Excellent point.

The oil fill spout is elevated and is plastic. Plastic does not transfer heat.

What you're seeing is oil vapors that rise in that tube, and are exposed to cooler air, causing condensation, hence the tan, gooie, build up you get.

Short trips where the engine doesn't reach full operating temps long enough to dry it out, will make it worse. Not to mention, the PCV valve is there, sucking engine/oil vapor up to that location.

Ford had the same issue on the older small block engines, at the oil fill cap, where the PCV fit into.

It's harmless.....just really annoying to see, and you'll see it more in the winter/coller months then you will in the summer, because of the warmer, summer ambient temps.

05atlanticblue 11-26-2010 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toms Blue Ram 1500 (Post 364342)
A good way of fighting a sludging problem is more frequent oil changes and/or running a good quality synthetic oil like Amsoil .

frequent oil changes and that brand in the same sentence - thats a first :D

the best way to avoid sludge issues is to follow the mopar maintenance schedule to a tee using fluids with the correct recommended certifications.
following mopar's recommendations, we've had four late model mopars, all with over 100k on the odometer and not one issue...

sprintertech 11-26-2010 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregInAtl (Post 363979)
Dodge trucks are notorious for sludging, and I have seen it first hand in my own 4.7. I have seen the goo piled up on my oil cap and know that it can fill oiling ports and lead to an early demise for the motor

that is not true.....only engine weve had that was prone to sludge if regular maint was not followed to the T was the 2.7.....
in any engine if you do not change the oil as recommended you are asking for trouble....

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldMoparMan63 (Post 365378)
Excellent point.

The oil fill spout is elevated and is plastic. Plastic does not transfer heat.

What you're seeing is oil vapors that rise in that tube, and are exposed to cooler air, causing condensation, hence the tan, gooie, build up you get.

Short trips where the engine doesn't reach full operating temps long enough to dry it out, will make it worse. Not to mention, the PCV valve is there, sucking engine/oil vapor up to that location.

Ford had the same issue on the older small block engines, at the oil fill cap, where the PCV fit into.

It's harmless.....just really annoying to see, and you'll see it more in the winter/coller months then you will in the summer, because of the warmer, summer ambient temps.

^^^true story^^^

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05atlanticblue (Post 367112)
frequent oil changes and that brand in the same sentence - thats a first :D

the best way to avoid sludge issues is to follow the mopar maintenance schedule to a tee using fluids with the correct recommended certifications.
following mopar's recommendations, we've had four late model mopars, all with over 100k on the odometer and not one issue...

amsoil is not a recommended lubricant by any manufacturer that i know of

RamTech 11-26-2010 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprintertech (Post 367284)
amsoil is not a recommended lubricant by any manufacturer that i know of

Perhaps not but it does meet the ILSAC GF-4 and the Chrysler MS-6395N standards and is safe to use. Royal Purple does not meet these standards the last time I checked.

sprintertech 11-26-2010 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamTech (Post 367288)
Perhaps not but it does meet the ILSAC GF-4 and the Chrysler MS-6395N standards and is safe to use. Royal Purple does not meet these standards the last time I checked.

no your right.....i would not use royal purple either.....i use mobil 1

never been a fan of snake oil!

jpaul51 11-26-2010 02:14 PM

I used Royal Purple for 2 years with no problems, but I now run Mobil 1 full Synthetic 15KM Extended Protection just to be on the safe side.