DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Superchips - No difference? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=67005)

Thetolleyman 11-23-2010 08:35 PM

Superchips - No difference?

I programmed my 03 Ram with a Superchips Flashpaq this past weekend, started it on 91 Octane performance tune. The process went smooth, no issues. But I gotta say " I notice no difference"

Has anyone else had this reaction?

OldMoparMan63 11-23-2010 08:41 PM

Yep.

I didn't notice any difference with/without it.

I lie...... If you run the 91 octane program, and run a lesser octane, the truck will ping, so timing HAS to be advanced with that program. I just didn;t feel it if it was, nor saw any gains in anything, including horsepower.

I kept the unit to use it as a scanner to obtain codes if necessary.

ScatPak07 11-23-2010 09:00 PM

You didn't notice any difference with the tuner installed? When I hear people say that I always get shocked since when I installed my tune it was night and day.

If you use the 91oct tune you should only use 91/93 octane in the truck. It is obvious to some but you would be surprised haha

I heard the Superchips is a good tuner for the year Ram you have as well. If there is any updates inline for it maybe check it out. I dont know much about Superchips since i got the Diablo Sport tuner. If it does have updates I dont know hahaha.

Thetolleyman 11-23-2010 09:02 PM

I'm gonna a play around with it a while before giving it a thumbs down. I too, have seen great reviews for it.

OldMoparMan63 11-23-2010 09:04 PM

I'm skeptical by nature. I also don;t trust my "Ass-Dyno" because people WANT to feel a difference.

Honestly.....I gotta say I didn't. I've heard people say they have, but unless you get a baseline dyno run, and then one with the mod, it's hard to say what, if any improvement, stuff like that makes.

I agree: in that if you can noticably feel it, (I've added PowerCommanders to motorcycles and felt a difference) but in my case, I can't say I felt that same difference.

Thetolleyman 11-24-2010 10:20 PM

I was playing with the tuner today, noticed that when I opened "Options" it said "NO OPTIONS ON STOCK READ". This made me think I was not in 91 perf. mode. However, when I opened "View Settings" it did say " Performance 91".

Anyway, I read the truck again, set it to 91, and upped the rev limit a fuzz.

Now when I open "Options" I get several choices. And on the "View Settings" page it shows Performance 91, the tire size, and the current rev limit.

So I take it for a short drive, could be all in my head, but now I notice a stronger low end.

I think maybe the first time it didn't take, for lack of a better description. I know it took three tries to get it to finally read. Tonite it took two.

05atlanticblue 11-26-2010 02:14 AM

drive it with the 91 setup for at least a month. give the computer the full time to learn everything and give yourself full time to get used to how the truck behaves. then go back to the stock tune and tell me there's no difference :D

back in the summer, i had mine with the 91 tune for two months - had to go back to the stock for two days while i had some work being done. it was miserable to drive, i couldn't wait to get the 91 tune back.

Thetolleyman 11-26-2010 08:57 PM

Okay, will do.