DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Military (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Just got out (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=67126)

pieece 11-25-2010 04:21 PM

Just got out

Just got out of the army a few months ago. I was in for just over 3 years. I spent 15 months in Iraq attached to the Triple Nickle from Ft. Lost in the woods.

Craziest military experience... well I got a sh*t load of them.

I was doing route clearance on route lime. Leading the convoy in a D7G Dozer. already ran over 6 IEDs... One of those IEDs was a double stacked AT mine. I watched that double stacker blow a buffalo arm off not even 30ft. from me.

Anyhow finally we reached the insurgent strong point (a city that we were suppose to clear); Took a right hand turn entering the city and WHAM! I was blown up by a 155mm round. Cut the track to my dozer and knocked me out for a few. EOD Clear for IEDs around me. Then I was pulled out and evaluated by our meddac. While I was being checked out my other buddy in another D7 dozer struck 3 smaller IEDs (20lbs explosives in oil jugs :i_rolleyes: ) They finally pulled him out and I volunteered to bring his dozer back to safety. As They droped me off at his dozer (still in shock from earlier blast) The buffalo was backing away and set another IED off as I was getting into his dozer. :wow:. I pulled his back to safety.

While I was still dazed I spent the next 8 Hours trying to figure out how to load my D7G dozer onto a Het with a blown off track (wont move worth sh*T!!!).

Thats it all in a nutshell I guess. Have some other crazy stories I will share sometime.

That was one of the longest 3 days in my life. I will never forget that day. Ever.

Also i'm a bronze star recipient. Earned it as a PFC.

MADDOG 11-25-2010 04:34 PM

Thanks for your service and that's a great story!

I don't miss the rocket and mortar attacks we experienced in NE Thailand so long ago but I do kinda miss the adrenaline rush of the action.

pieece 11-25-2010 04:39 PM

Oh i definitely miss the adrenaline rush. If I had it my way I would never of left. Besides the extra grand a month after being over there for twelve months was great.

MADDOG 11-25-2010 04:45 PM

oh yeah..the little "bonus" for combat...nice.

GTyankee 11-25-2010 04:53 PM

I thank you for your military service, if not for you & others like you, all of us might not have so much to be thankful for on this Thanksgiving Day

The telling of your experience sounds like a day in hell, i can't even imagine it, i have run dozers before on construction jobs & once around a dump site fire, so i know a little something about hazards when working with them, But, i can't imagine working a dozer near explosive charges. Working with explosive devices while i was in the Navy was bad enough, i was in Aviation Ordnance, just bombs, missiles, & rockets

Thanks again

pieece 11-25-2010 06:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I'm a operator now (d6 dozers and some other equipment). Its a lot different. Nothing excited or adrenaline rushing about except when you almost roll it down the side of a mountain or pit. :4-dontknow:

Anyhow figured I would upload a pic. of what I was blown up in.

DiamantiZ 11-30-2010 10:06 PM

Man, that sucks. I spent 7 months in Afghanistan this year and that place is a mess right now. Some of the craziest sh*t I've ever been through.