DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   headlights for snowy conditions (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=67194)

earlzie 11-26-2010 05:29 PM

headlights for snowy conditions

hey guys... im from Canada and of course the snow is starting to fall here for winter.. anyway i would like to know which kind of headlight bulbs are good for snowy conditions? Halogens, HID's.... i currently bought some PIAA lights but a friend told me that the bright lights are horrible for snowy driving because you see every single snow flake and he actually pulled over tot he side of the road and ripped his out and put the old ones back in haha.. since it is a pain in the butt to replace the bulbs now.. having to take the grill off and everything.. i would like to know which is best before i take everything apart..

Thanks!!

CdnoilRAM 11-26-2010 05:52 PM

I don't have a problem with my HIDs in the snow, I run 6000K HIDs, any higher in the temp range and you begin to lose visibility. If you're worried about it, you can run a set of 3000K in your fogs and they're extremely yellow and won't reflect off the snow. I used to run silverstars in my Dakota, and they're comparable to the PIAA bulbs, with no ill effect. A big thing is when you install new bulbs, make sure the assembly is aimed for THAT bulb, I've found that switching from stock, to silverstars, to HIDs, I've needed to re-align each time to prevent blinding other drivers and to keep light on the road.

platinuminjected 11-26-2010 06:34 PM

i love my H.I.D's in all weather congitions and i also have 6000k

earlzie 11-26-2010 08:25 PM

i have 4000k Piaa halogens... i know hid's r defiantly the best but how r the halogen's?
i haven't installed them yet

CdnoilRAM 11-26-2010 08:48 PM

They will be whiter than the stock lamps for sure, and they're comparable to the silverstars for brightness, but with a longer service life (I've been told, my silverstars lasted 3 years w/out issue). Honestly, I'd install them, then, if you aren't happy with them after a while, pull them. I can't see any reason not to run them from my own experience.

earlzie 11-26-2010 09:01 PM

ok thanks again.. i'll put them in and i'll let you guys know how the 2500km drive went with them lol

ScatPak07 11-26-2010 09:04 PM

I have the HIDs as well. I have not had any problems with them ether. They are definitely the best bang for your buck!

CdnoilRAM 11-26-2010 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earlzie (Post 367708)
ok thanks again.. i'll put them in and i'll let you guys know how the 2500km drive went with them lol

Ooooo, where's this road trip headed? And bring the stock bulb... just in case :gy:

earlzie 11-26-2010 09:47 PM

back to thunder bay ontario for the holidays... its a pretty good drive thats forsure.. done it there and back about 5 times so far.. guess it'll be a good way to break in the new ride

CdnoilRAM 11-26-2010 10:39 PM

Ugh, I've done that drive, though WHY anyone would willingly go to Thunder Bay, I have no idea :4-looney: But I do agree, it'll be a good drive to break it in the way you wan to. I know you already know this, but BEWARE THE O.P.P.!