DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Finally bought my truck (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=67310)

ccga3359 11-28-2010 03:49 AM

Finally bought my truck

I did it. I drove two hours to find the right colour, Atlantic blue (it seems the former owners around me either traded in black or silver ones). It's a 2005 quad cab 1500 Laramie. The price was right, had all the right options and did not show the signs of abuse except for one ding at the top of the passenger door frame (how that could've happened I have no idea).

It was snowy up where I bought the truck, so I got to test the 4x4 system. I've only ever driven four cylinders and front wheel drive except for my first car a '72 Beetle and very worn '53 Willys M38A1. So this is my first foray into a V8, a Hemi at that! As nervous as I was I realized that a Hemi Ram in 2wd on fresh wet snow has as much traction as a 5.0 Mustang in the same crap. I did manage to get lost on my test drive and although in 4x4 I was still very nervous finding myself on a snow covered- not much wider than my truck-country road with huge gullies on either side (in my defense, they seemed huge as I was sitting up higher that I typically do in my Focus). I'm sure i'll gain confidence quite rapidly to the point that I'll be pissed if I don't see freshly fallen snow when i wake up in the mornings.

So now we get to the influence of this forum. I've yet to pick up my truck (I have to wait until next Saturday - pray for more snow) but I still managed to drop a C note for accessories on the way home! Partly to kill time so I could figure out how I was going to tell my wife that we now own a new truck even though we have a perfectly good (and newer Focus) in the driveway. mostly for security as I tend to carry around tools in the back. After much research I bought the Flip Bac torneau (can't even say the word correctly let alone spell it) cover and a Pop&Lock latch. Next week it'll be another grand on steps. I may look 35, the body may be 45 but my 'effing knees are 85. I was planning on getting the AMP bumper step for $250 but saw the promotion AMP is having for the power step with a free bumper step. Well on checking this truck out I realized could use a step up and my wife will definately need a step to get into and out of eliquently, so I'll need to go step shopping. Nerf bars and such are about 350 to 450 dollars but I've never liked the look of them. These power step are a $1000+! Are you following my logic yet? $1000 for these steps less what I was going to spend on the bumper step (remember it's free until Dec 31st) now brings that cost down to $750. $750 less the difference of $450 nerf bars that are ugly (read beautiful to all that own them) that I'd have to buy anyway, is $300. Now $300 to upgrade to steps that fold away, help protct my rocker panels from stone chips and helps a lovely lady into a beautiful truck is a deal of the century don'tcha think? Nah, she probably won't buy it either but it's worth a try. Never plead for permission when you can beg for forgiveness.

So now leveling, a new stereo with bluetooth, nav and DVD, new 35' tires and wheels...

What's up with these plastic friggin' 20" wheels? I always thought that they were alloy :SHOCKED:!

GTyankee 11-28-2010 04:08 AM

Congratulations on your purchase, sounds like you are doing things right, especially the tailgate lock.
Good luck with it :)

SoArkSi 11-28-2010 11:47 AM

i got some for my qc and wouldn't have anything else. Yeah there $$$$ but I got a 6" and 37s so it was a must and like you said its not Much more money for a hella nicer board. Grats on all the purchases! I know I was super pumped

erm 11-28-2010 11:49 AM

Congrats, Grant!

And good luck with the explanation to the wife@home.com....LOL

Toms Blue Ram 1500 11-28-2010 12:11 PM

Congratulations on the purchase . Once you pick it up post some pics . Let the modding begin !

CajunDodge 11-28-2010 12:22 PM

Congrats on your truck Grant, that's awesome! Can't wait to see some pics when you get it! Good luck with the wife and no, explaining how useful the mods will be for her might not work, but picking her up something nice might help. :)

- Cajun

ccga3359 11-28-2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunDodge (Post 368827)
... but picking her up something nice might help. :)

- Cajun

How about an '05 Ram? Since my focus is standard she's never been able to drive it. She now thinks she'll have her choice of what vehicle to take to work! Somehow next to the new truck her Escape 4x4 won't be as manly for me anymore, next to the Focus it was!

GeauxHunting 11-28-2010 02:09 PM

Congrats on the new truck... Once she's sitting in your driveway I want to see some pics!