DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Upgrading front & rear shocks (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=67846)

samuel 12-04-2010 05:20 PM

Upgrading front & rear shocks

I just ordered edelbrock performer ias for front(edl-3316) & rear(3496). I have done a little research on bilstein, rancho, high jacker, tokico, I just decided to go with edl. I am not trying to lift or lower, I haven't changed them out in 10 yrs I think the stock ones are still on there (embarrassing) but i cant wait to get them off. I'll let you guys know how it works out. What shocks have you guys used and how is the ride..

erm 12-04-2010 05:21 PM

Monroe and Bilstein mostly here. No problems with them at all.

vaderhemi 12-08-2010 01:15 PM

Shocks

I have Rancho RS9000s on the front and rear of my truck. They have not let me down yet and can take the beatings i've given it. I have a set of pro comp still in the box from another truck i want to try when the ranchos are done.

brewman 12-15-2010 05:23 PM

I just purchased a set of 4 Monroe Reflex shocks for my 97 1500 4x4. I recently bought the truck and it has the original OEM rears along with some aftermarkets on the front that have been there awhile (not sure on the brand). I'll let you know how they ride after I've put them on and driven it a bit.

SanFranRamFan 01-03-2011 12:51 AM

samuel - any word on those edelbrocks? i'm looking into eds & kybs (per the advice of my mechanic) but now i hear bilstein 5100s are the way to go.

my problem is i've got the '01 off-road edition that comes with a 2" lift and i can't figure out whether regular shocks will work or not. i mostly drive on the freeway & around town, but do like to get off-road when i can so i'm looking for a smooth comfortable ride with a shock that can also take big bumps & ruts & ditches.

let me know how those eds are treating ya!

samuel 01-03-2011 08:53 PM

The edelbrock shocks are great no complaints here, the ride is much better (smooth & comfortable and able to take ditches and bumps )but they discontinued the rear performer ias shocks for the 97' 2wd(I wonder Y).. so i might go with the bilstein on the rear. My ride has improved so much, I kinda forgot about changing the rear but it has to be done.I also changed the rims, I installed the rims off a dodge ram srt-10 damn its looks better the the American racing aluminum rims that where so hard to polish, I'm loving the chrome shine.

SanFranRamFan 01-04-2011 12:36 AM

Haha! NICE. thanks man, i'm leaning more & more towards those Eds every day. i've got a 4wd off-road edition so my next challenge is finding them in a set for the 2" lift...for half price. [yeah right!]

and i totally feel you on the american racing rims...i've got the bajas and they are anything but "polished" - my front right wheel looks like it's been used as an ashtray in a two-week rainstorm, all brown and nasty. i use wheel cleaner once a month and Still can't get all the little dark specks out of those nooks and crannies. unless craigslist runs a special on rims, or i get to know somebody who knows somebody who robbed somebody, i'll be running on dirties for a while yet!

TLars 01-23-2011 12:18 AM

Has anyone tried "Rough Country"? I just priced some out online and WOW - one helluva price! Steering arms, colored boots and 4 shocks for under $250????