DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Heating & Cooling (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   Heater Core replacement question (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=68014)

jljohnson1170 12-06-2010 06:39 PM

Heater Core replacement question

I have a 2000 slt quad cab 2wd. As with most that I have seen my dash is cracked in about 30 places. I plan to replace it when I can but in the mean time I need to replace my heater core. My question... Can I replace the core from the top of the dash if I remove all the peices? Is this possible without taking out the whole dash?

B and B LANDSCAPES 12-06-2010 06:56 PM

man i would love to know this one..... my dash is almost gone and it needs the heater core replaced..... would make life nice maybe

Ram15002ndgen 12-07-2010 01:37 AM

If the dash is completely broken and exposed it may be possible, Maybe not. I haven't done the job but I have seen pictures and they always show the dash off. The heater core has some weirdly shaped lines which may need to be wiggled around to the right angle to get them in and out. More room would make this possible obviously. The core also has a cover that needs to be removed and I don't know if that is wedged under the cowl or not since I have always seen it removed. So it's a possible, Maybe!

audiophile 12-15-2010 11:21 AM

8 Attachment(s)
I would say no. I replaced the heater core in my '98 last winter. Even if you could remove the dash pieces, (mine is cracked pretty bad also) there is the air bag pod to deal with. The way the water lines run through the dash would make it very difficult to remove it even if possible. The entire air box has to come out of the truck to remove the core. My dad and I did it in about 9 - 10 hours. We were able to move the dash and hang it from the passenger grip handle rather than remove it completely. I have pics and will post them. They are not the best but I took them with my cell phone.
Just FYI - you have to evacuate the a/c system and then have it recharged. :Wow1: If you don't the compressor will not come on and you will have no defrost. :doh:

grungybob 01-06-2011 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jljohnson1170 (Post 375587)
I have a 2000 slt quad cab 2wd. As with most that I have seen my dash is cracked in about 30 places. I plan to replace it when I can but in the mean time I need to replace my heater core. My question... Can I replace the core from the top of the dash if I remove all the peices? Is this possible without taking out the whole dash?

I just replaced the heater core on my 99 5.2 1500 4wd. I didnt take the steering column out just lowered down and the dash had to come out because the heater box had to come loose from the fire wall. But i did'nt take the heater box all the out like other instructions said and i was able to wiggle it out from the top with the heater box still mostly installed. I didnt have to discharge the a/c either, saved a lot