DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=203)
-   -   Making my own leveling kit (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=68071)

RichJHU 12-07-2010 01:57 PM

Making my own leveling kit

I just got my 2010 dodge ram 4X4 but I want the front a little higher. I looked around the forum and it seems like everyone is just putting in coil spring spacers.

I run a machine shop and have made plenty of automotive parts in the past including spacers for my 07 Xterra that I used to have. I am planning on making spacers for my ram and I was wondering, does anyone knows the bolt pattern dimensions for the top of the coil spring assembly? I can pull it off and measure it myself, but I figured I would check here first. Plus its like 30 degrees outside!

Also, if anyone around the Baltimore area needs anything machined I only charge $50 per hour for custom parts.

SnowChief 12-08-2010 10:58 AM

If you "google" coil spacers for your truck, you will likely find a manufacturer where you can pull down the specs (and insructions on how to install the spacers). When I was looking for spacers I found many websites that I could obtain the instructions before I actually purchased the product.

RichJHU 12-08-2010 12:20 PM

I have found instructions and specs, but I am not able to find the bolt pattern. I need the demensions for the 3 bolts on top of the strut. I guess the manufacturer does not want that info out there, cause others could copy them. I guess I'm just going to have to jack it up and check.

RichJHU 12-10-2010 09:14 AM

Alright, I was able to measure the bolt pattern last night. I figured I would put it on here just in case anyone out there wanted to make their own spacers. The funny thing is, it turns out that it is the same as the Xterra I used to have.

There are three 5/16-18 bolts on a 3 3/4" bolt circle. Two of them are 128 degrees apart and the last is 104 degrees.

The next thing that I have to figure out is how thick to make the spacers. On my Xterra I made a 1" thick spacer and it lifted it 2". I'm guessing that would be the same here. If anyone on here knows how thick the spacer should be, please let me know.

If not, I will just jack up the truck (this weekend) to the hight I want and measure the distance that the coil spring lengthened.

BLKSVT 12-10-2010 09:33 AM

Man, the bilstein 5100's are so much easier to do, unless you just want to tinker with it.

RichJHU 12-10-2010 09:48 AM

Yea, I know. The only thing is, I'm not planning on doing any major offroading just yet. I usually wait a year before I do that stuff. When I'm ready to start off-roading I will prob go real high. The kit I'm looking at will come with new shocks. Plus I can make these for free! For now I just want the front a little higher for looks. And maybe a little more clearance for the snow! Last year we got over 3 feet of snow here in one week! I'll see if I can dig up a pic of my Xterra burried in the snow.

RichJHU 12-10-2010 09:52 AM

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/a...Xterrasnow.jpg

BLKSVT 12-10-2010 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichJHU (Post 378257)

That is the exact reason I did not stay in Colorado but for only 2 years! It got old and was cold..lol

RichJHU 12-10-2010 10:39 AM

This was a fluke here. We never get that much snow. It sure was fun though! I did end up scrapping up my front bumper a bit. Thats why I want my Ram to be a little higher in the front.

RichJHU 12-13-2010 10:39 AM

So, it rained here all weekend and I did not get a chance to jack up my ram. Does anyone know how thick the coil spacers need to be for a 2" lift? I'm guessing it's 1".