DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Cummins Diesel Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=174)
-   -   Time to replace Injector pump. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=68510)

duster7469 12-13-2010 03:22 PM

Time to replace Injector pump.

I have been living with the dreaded "dead pedal" for some time now. About 3 years. Money has been tight but we have had a little come our way so now I would like to fix this before we get stranded. Just to be sure I did the code read last spring and got the PO216 code. Anyway, we use my 2001 2500 24v for a lot of traveling and hauling. It has served me well dragging my 29 foot travel trailer everywhere. The truck now has 115,000 on the clock and we intend to keep it for a long time. The truck has no performance mods done to it except a banks exhaust. My question(s) is this: where can i find a good replacement Injection pump for this truck? Is a rebuild exceptable? What type of information do i need off the truck when I order this part? What price should I expect? And where on the net can i find installation instructions?
Thanks.

jd322 12-14-2010 12:54 AM

First are you positive its the co and not the apps? When you say dead pedal what do you mean? Have you checked your transfer pump? Most vp44 run about a grand. The only info they should need is on the data plate on the side of the timing case. Install isn't bad at all I'm sure there plenty of links out there to walk you threw it. Or I can give you a quick break down on how to do it off the top my head.

duster7469 12-14-2010 11:28 AM

I do not know what you mean by co or apps. The transfer pump was replaced by the dealer about 6 or 7 months before i started getting the dead pedal. The replacement was done because a friend of mine who worked at my dealership said it was worth doing to prevent problems down the road. My dead pedal is this: Usually at low speeds, I will press down on pedal and get nothing. The tranny shifts down, but I get no power from the engine. I will shift to neutral and turn engine off and restart and the power comes back upon start up. Sometimes I can get away with just working the pedal up and down. But most of the time this does not help. This situation happens more when the engine is cold. We replaced the TPS and the problem did not go away. I hooked a OBD to the truck and got a Injection timing circuit malfunction message. Along with a PO216 code. This problem for the most part does not happen at highway speeds. I have been driving the truck like this for 3 years and I feel it is getting worse. It is a pain in the neck now, but I fear we may get stranded someday.

jd322 12-14-2010 11:41 AM

Apps is the tps. When is the last time you pulled the codes? Did you clear them out after the last scan?

duster7469 12-14-2010 12:19 PM

The last scan was taken over the summer. I believe the scan was cleared. I still get the 0216 code. Why would this make a difference?

jd322 12-14-2010 12:26 PM

Normally what I like to do is make sure everything is cleared out then drive it awhile and see what comes back. If 216 come back you that is defiantly the problem.

duster7469 12-14-2010 12:34 PM

Any idea who sells these pumps at a reduced rate?

latitud 12-14-2010 02:15 PM

do a google search on HOT ROD PUMP...this replacement pump has upgraded electronics in it..which is usually the cause for the injection pump failure. The replacement pump that is spray painted black is the pump remanufactured in Canada I beleive. Its been a long time since I had to deal with those on my 2002 I had. But the replacement is pretty easy and takes a few hours. One thing that helps extend the life is to get a relocation kit to move the lift pump back to in front of the tank and get a BIG line kit. And if you don't have one, a fuel pressure guage is a must.