DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Cummins Diesel Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Fuel Economy Display Inaccurate (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=68562)

leon 12-14-2010 06:48 AM

Fuel Economy Display Inaccurate

I'm a new owner of a 2004 Ram 2500 5.9L automatic 2wd. I believe the truck to have the stock ECM tune in it. I'm getting about 20 mpg, but the onboard computer reads 24.5.

I haven't reset it for about 2000 miles, so I figure its showing what it thinks is the long term average. Is it normal for it to be this optimistic? Is there any way to tweak it so it reads closer to reality? I figure the calculation is based on the amount of time the injectors are open, so does the disparity mean I have a fuel leak somewhere?

regards,
Leon

deanthecrabman 12-14-2010 07:57 AM

Has your tire size or gearing changed from stock? That would make a difference. Is your speedometer accurate?

erm 12-14-2010 08:12 AM

It's adaptive. If you watch it for a minute or two or three while idling vs. driving around, it will change. It is not the most accurate gauge I have seen for sure. I just get my MPG by doing the math.

RamTech 12-14-2010 08:26 AM

It's not meant to be super accurate but rather a ballpark figure.

CdnoilRAM 12-14-2010 09:49 AM

Yup, it's never quite right, nothing beats the good ol' miles driven/gallons filled.

leon 12-15-2010 07:23 AM

My speedo is right as compared to a GPS. I don't expect the onboard computer to be exact, but like RamTech says, a ball park figure. But its 20% off. That's what got me to thinking something might be wrong. Assuming the onboard computer is using the amount of time the injectors are open to calculate fuel usage, and since I'm using the amount of fuel I put in the tank, the difference indicates missing fuel. There's about 18 gallons of fuel unaccounted for. I don't see a leak that big. That's a little over an ounce per mile.

Does anyone know where there is technical documentation on the on board computer?
The service manual isn't very informative.

regards,
Leon

Dalton06 01-06-2011 10:59 AM

Mines off about that much or more. That thing is a waste of a feature. Either be right or don't put it on the truck.

Chili1K 01-06-2011 11:26 AM

only time i know when im getting good gas mileage is when im trying to conserve it on the highway.. other than that.. my local driving mileage is horrible with all the starts and stops with stop signs.

Dalton06 01-06-2011 02:15 PM

Yeah it's so uphill and downhill in ga it's hard to get good true reading.

Kleeeen 01-06-2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalton06 (Post 402466)
Mines off about that much or more. That thing is a waste of a feature. Either be right or don't put it on the truck.

Perfectly put. I lose 4 mpg if/when I go around corners and this truck is new=huh