DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Cummins Diesel Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=174)
-   -   Power surge maybe? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=68574)

DieselD24 12-14-2010 10:44 AM

Power surge maybe?

Ok well, heres the facts. I recently have purchased this truck as i have been wanting one for so long and finally got one. I havent done emissions on it yet due to work and all but, anyway, thats not the fact. Here is the fact...

The truck randomly has a... well, i dont know what to call it. A power surge i guess you would say? I will be driving down the road and the truck runs perfect but as i come to a complete stop and sit there for a moment, the truck will randomly increase in rpm's from 700-800 to about 1100-1200 like a surge and stabilize in idle. I've noticed this will only occur if i drive it like a grandpa, nice and gentle. If i drive it a little rougher i.e. more throttle at take off than usual, it will go away.

The truck came equipped a quadzilla. I havent even wanted to begin messing with it.

So many things come to mind as to what it can be. My mind races through CAC, fuel filter, turbo, and god knows what else. I dont know where to start.

Please, if anybody has gone through this before or knows anything, lead me in the right direction, just anything... please let me know.

Thanks!

jd322 12-14-2010 11:48 AM

What year is the truck if had to guess your 99 to 01. Auto or manual?

DieselD24 12-14-2010 06:20 PM

Your correct, the truck is a 2001.5 automatic drivetrain.

I knew this was gonna be asked, don't know why i didn't post it up the first time. I guess working all night and being tired don't help any right?... lol.

DieselD24 12-14-2010 06:25 PM

One thing i forgot to mention was that it also does it in the park position. I know every bit of information at hand is useful.

jd322 12-14-2010 06:26 PM

Next question dose the temp of the engine make any difference?

DieselD24 12-14-2010 06:40 PM

No, it does not. I've seen this occur from the first 5 minutes or so of start-up to normal operating temperature. Engine does not overheat, no cooling system issues at all.

jd322 12-14-2010 06:49 PM

So your saying it does it all the time? Have you checked for any codes? Key on off method or scanner?

DieselD24 12-14-2010 07:04 PM

Yes, it does this wether the truck is just warming up (Like i said, ive seen this occur within the first 5 minutes or so) as i live in cold weather or, a normal hot day. Does it ONLY at idle though. Even at a complete stop from highway driving.

As far as your question goes, does it do it all the time?

No, it does not. It could be fine for a week then it'll start. It'll occur once, then it won't do it again for like 3 days. It just varies, theres really no telling when it will do it.

jd322 12-14-2010 07:10 PM

Ok sorry for asking again at the bar now drinking. But have you checked for codes. I live in Ohio so I know about the temp variations.

DieselD24 12-14-2010 07:15 PM

No problem! I have not checked for codes as i do not have access to a scanner. As far as the key on and off switch thing goes, i do not know how to do it. Is it similar to cycling it and watching for blink codes? Does it even have that feature?