DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2010 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Wheel Tire swap - 20's down to 17's TPMS Problem (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=68715)

Momud 12-15-2010 10:27 PM

Wheel Tire swap - 20's down to 17's TPMS Problem

Me and a friend both have 2010 ram 1500's. Here's the deal. I wanted his 17's and he wanted my clad 20's. All is good on fitment except my TPMS readings are not registering as I am sure his isn't.

Is this a dealer only fix or can I reprogram the TPMS to read the different sensors?

RootBeer 12-15-2010 11:15 PM

Were the wheels swapped both from 2010 models? 09 sensors will not work with the 10 model and vice versa.

Momud 12-16-2010 12:17 AM

Ya, Both ares 10's

FormerGorilla 12-16-2010 12:26 AM

Interesting... the quickest, and probably cheapest, way I can think of would be to swap the sensors. Just get a tire shop to break the tires down and swap 'em your old sensors to the rims you traded for and vice versa (unless you have the means to do it yourself of course).

RootBeer 12-16-2010 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momud (Post 382644)
Ya, Both ares 10's

Then it sounds like its time to swing by the dealer for a reprogram.

Having the sensors swapped would require removing the wheels from the trucks, dismounting the tires, swapping the sensors, and putting everything back together.

Also the tire shop doing it would have to have the special adapter to work with the chrome clad wheels. Not all shops have it.

FormerGorilla 12-16-2010 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RootBeer (Post 382655)
Also the tire shop doing it would have to have the special adapter to work with the chrome clad wheels. Not all shops have it.

The adapter is needed to remove the tire from what I understand. The tire would not need removed. The outside would simply need broken off the bead. They wouldn't need to lay the wheel face-down, which is where I understand that the adapter comes into play (for grip when breaking the rear bead seal and removing the tire). It would be a quick job for a competent shop.

chithead 12-16-2010 01:05 AM

How far have ya'll driven? I believe you have to maintain 50mph for at least 15 minutes in order for them to reprogram.

If that doesn't work then yes, tire shop or dealer can reprogram to work with your truck without swapping sensors.

Momud 12-16-2010 01:14 AM

I believe that has been traveled already. Unfortunately, probably gonna have to hit the dealer. Hope it doesn't take em a week like it did to put in my bed liner.

Momud 12-16-2010 08:09 PM

Ok, I have been told the 20's have a different part number on the sensor than the sensors. That means a sensor swap will have to be done. Hopefully the sensors will be interchangeable rim to rim. Then discount tire will reteach the sensors if they have to.

BobzRam 12-17-2010 04:39 PM

I just put on 17s with snow tires in place of my stock 20s. I got new tpms sensors on Ebay for a '10 and all went well. They work fine without any reprogramming. I found out that there are indeed different ones, they go by year and build date, not by rim size.