DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Fuel System (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   What tuner box will give best MPG (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=68820)

Mcbride 12-17-2010 12:50 PM

What tuner box will give best MPG

On a 2011 ram 1500 with 5.7 hemi, which tuner will increase the mileage most?

Thanks

MADDOG 12-17-2010 01:10 PM

I have not seen any specifics on MPG gains. Most of what I have experienced is more due to the octane tune selected.

Programmers tend to richen the mixture and move the torque/HP curve down in the RPM band and sustain them longer. The result is that the truck feels a LOT better and the increases tend to affect your good judgement. In other words, your right foot gets heavier.

My experience with the Predator since I installed it was an increase of just a bit above 2.75 MPG highway, a little over 1.25 around town. I suspect it would be better around town but my foot is always in it...LMAO

Mcbride 12-18-2010 10:49 AM

Thanks Michael.
From my reading here, most seem to prefer the predator brand.
And the increase you mention is all i expect. An increase of 1 or 2 MPG overall adds up a lot over 7 or 8 years.

Frank

MADDOG 12-18-2010 11:36 AM

I agree, Frank. And I do appreciate the increase in mileage as with the 91 CAI tune I have running on the truck now, it won't burn anything but premium!

Jason Rose 12-18-2010 11:56 AM

Just to play devils advocate here, but what good does an increace of 1 to 2 mpg's get you if you have to run premium fuel that's 20 cents a gallon more than regular?

ScatPak07 12-18-2010 05:06 PM

I dont think Maddog is going for the MPGs. If he haas the 91oct tune like I do in my truck your making it faster not fuel efficient.

The programmer (DS Predator) has tunes for 87oct, 91oct and 93oct. So if you want to increase the MPG you will be able to use 87oct. That would make the fuel prices equal out.

The Superchips Flash Pack is the MPG tuner I think. It is for 87 octane fuel and it just makes the truck run better. It is the most inexpensive tuner and I think it is just for MPG increase.

HoustonHemi 12-18-2010 06:16 PM

IMHO, with a 4th Gen, your MPG won't increase enough to justify the cost of the tuner.

Your results will be closer to 'fractions' than whole numbers, if that.

You'll get better MPG with the 91 tune, but not enough better to justify the extra price of the fuel.

For 4th Gens, the SC Flashpaq and Cortex each have 4 tunes each. (Mileage XS, Tow, 87 and 91) The only difference between the 2 units is that the Cortex can be used on diesels.

I have the Cortex,,,. The MPG results mentioned above are from my experiences over the last 6 months with all tunes other than 'tow'.

Your mileage may vary,,,,,,

fitter1 12-18-2010 09:04 PM

You could try putting the tuner under the Loud peddle for better MPG:LOL:
the thicker the tuner the better the MPG will be.....:Racing:
just a thought.

Mcbride 12-19-2010 11:58 AM

Thanks for all the replies. :smileup:

RootBeer 12-19-2010 01:01 PM

Just my humble opinion, I have to agree with HoustonHemi. With the 4Gen Rams they get great mpg considering what they are. I don't know the cost of the tuner justifies itself strictly for mpg.

Now, if you were to put true dual exhaust from the manifold back and get the tuner and a fully enclosed CAI, then I wold say the tuner would be of benefit.

But that's a lot of $$. The stock motor comes with a damn good CAI. Not as good as it could be but pretty close.

Really comes down to personal choice. In my case, I'm not messing with my motor. I get 20+mpg at 65mph. I'm happy.