DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram R/T (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Exhaust Options for my R/T (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=68955)

boomershouse 12-19-2010 08:22 AM

Exhaust Options for my R/T

1 Attachment(s)
Need some advice on my exhaust ideas. I dont know why, but I want something diffrent. I'm looking to modify my exhaust and im intrested in the borla s-type mufflers with a x-pipe true dual to the headers. Borla S-type mufflers are 10in long and 5 in diamater. Since i have to cut the resonators off why not repalce them with a muffler instead of pipe. The mufflers are the same diameter as the factory resonators heat sheild. Looking at my truck I just have to cut off the resonators and replace them with the s-type mufflers. Then cut off exhaust pipe at the muffler, and cut off the y pipe, and replace it with the x-pipe. If this set up is too loud I can add another set s type mufflers behind the x-pipe or a resonator instead. Im thinking I can modify a exhaust kit already made currently by borla. looking at the website I would say that say s-type set up fpr the srt-8 cherokee would work. Has anyone used a x-pipe on an R/T and? Attached is a picture of the setup im thinking of doing. Ideas are welcome.

chithead 12-19-2010 08:45 AM

I haven't, but it's on my list of things to do as well. Actually I am looking at the Pro XS with the crossover inside the muffler. But I want do true duals from the heads to the muffler with no Y-pipe restriction

boomershouse 12-19-2010 08:54 AM

Yea, I dont know why mopar didn't think outside of the box. It looks like an easy install for a x-pipe. Why a restrictive old school y-pipe? Why?

boosted20v 12-19-2010 08:57 AM

For $150 Meineke put a flowmaster 40 on mine! Sounds incredible and a little better flow than stock. Best bang for the buck IMO

ramair18 12-19-2010 11:36 AM

I am going to be checking out the Corsa in the Spring. Have it on my Magnum SRT8 and it is the best I have had so far (tried Magnaflow and Billy Boat). Pricey but high quality and awesome sound when you are on it, but the lowest cabin drone off all of them.

My buddy had the Borla with MDS and man did that thing drone.....not great for carrying on a conversation and he sold it. That was on a Magnum though so may be fine on the RAM.

An alternate may be Gibson. Not sure if they make headers and cat-back for the 5.7, but I have that package on my 2003 4.7 RAM and it is great.

SPEEDFREAK 12-19-2010 05:07 PM

i did a 3" x pipe and dull 3" out lost 15- 20 tq

i had it on the dyno be fore and after. cost me $$$ the best set up is listed on my mods list below. i want to install a cam when i do i will add a 2 1/2" x to my current set up or all new with 2 3/4". we have to have some back pressure.

boomershouse 12-19-2010 06:57 PM

I have plenty of back pressure, and my ram does to. Hmm, yea I figured that sticking with 2 1/2 pipe is the way to go. Unless I go with new headers and high flow cats or a supercharger. X-pipe set up should create an equal back pressure. It is very intresting that you lost 20fp. Im curious about your mufflers, one with a baffle/chamber might create enough back pressure. If you want loud and awsome Try Flowmaster one Chambers. Beware they are neither street legal nor quiet, but they create enough back pressure.

autobred 01-01-2011 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomershouse (Post 385359)
Need some advice on my exhaust ideas. I dont know why, but I want something diffrent. I'm looking to modify my exhaust and im intrested in the borla s-type mufflers with a x-pipe true dual to the headers. Borla S-type mufflers are 10in long and 5 in diamater. Since i have to cut the resonators off why not repalce them with a muffler instead of pipe. The mufflers are the same diameter as the factory resonators heat sheild. Looking at my truck I just have to cut off the resonators and replace them with the s-type mufflers. Then cut off exhaust pipe at the muffler, and cut off the y pipe, and replace it with the x-pipe. If this set up is too loud I can add another set s type mufflers behind the x-pipe or a resonator instead. Im thinking I can modify a exhaust kit already made currently by borla. looking at the website I would say that say s-type set up fpr the srt-8 cherokee would work. Has anyone used a x-pipe on an R/T and? Attached is a picture of the setup im thinking of doing. Ideas are welcome.

Hows your exhaust build going? Im getting ready to get some exhaust work done, just reading around. What I did notice is while searching other forums and seeing the diagrams drawn on like carcraft or popular hotrodding writeups is that the pipes from the exhaust manifolds or from the headers is drawn equal length to the X or H pipe. Our setup is more or less a crossover to the right side of tranny thus making lengths differ to the X or H. Have you read anything about that making a difference or does it matter?http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ion/index.html

erm 01-01-2011 06:26 PM

Yeah..did you ever go forward with this mod?

boomershouse 01-01-2011 09:42 PM

Still waiting on parts. Hopefully they come in soon. Don't worry I will post pictures when its done.