DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Diablo Predator Questions & Info! (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Detectable Preformance Chips! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=69371)

Matt B 12-23-2010 08:44 PM

Detectable Preformance Chips!

With the Diablo Predator if you reset factory setting can your dealership still tell that you installed a chip when you take it in for maintenance? I want to buy one but if it voids my 5 Year warranty then its not worth the risk. thanks

RootBeer 12-23-2010 11:53 PM

Welcome to the Z. From everything I've read here when you uninstall the predator it does not leave an electronic footprint whereas some others might.

We have a lot of forums for all kinds of topics, so you shouldn't have any problems finding a place to post questions.

We LOVE pics of Rams.

Here's how to post them: http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73

Pull Ya 12-24-2010 12:01 PM

IMHO if you can afford a chip you should be able to afford to pay for any damage the chip causes to your truck instead of worrying about hiding the fact you have a chip installed. Why should anyone expect Dodge to pay for the damage the chip caused to the engine or drivetrain because of the additional hp or torque?
Let the flames start!
Jay
I'm not against installing a chip in your truck I just believe that if you do you should realize that it should and will effect your engine and drivetrain warranty. The warranty on other parts of your truck should remain intact.

MADDOG 12-24-2010 12:04 PM

watevah, Jay... LOL

By all accounts, Matt B, the DS Predator & Trinity are not detectable once removed.

Dan 12-24-2010 12:32 PM

check out this thread

MADDOG 12-24-2010 12:35 PM

That's good additional info for sure.

05Train 12-27-2010 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pull Ya (Post 389633)
IMHO if you can afford a chip you should be able to afford to pay for any damage the chip causes to your truck instead of worrying about hiding the fact you have a chip installed. Why should anyone expect Dodge to pay for the damage the chip caused to the engine or drivetrain because of the additional hp or torque?
Let the flames start!
Jay
I'm not against installing a chip in your truck I just believe that if you do you should realize that it should and will effect your engine and drivetrain warranty. The warranty on other parts of your truck should remain intact.

This is pretty much the correct answer.

Dodge spent quite a bit of money designing our trucks. If the owner wants to change something, Dodge has no responsibility to warranty the owner's screw-ups. Aside from the fact that tampering with the PCM or exhaust is technically a violation of federal emissions laws, it's ridiculous to expect Dodge to cover someone who's (more than likely) not a powertrain engineer who decides to start screwing around with the program in their truck.

The warranty isn't "voided". If you run a Diablo and your wiper motor dies, it'll still be covered, but if you fry your transmission......probably not.

Back to the original question, I've heard from more than one source that the factory PCM keeps track of how many times the unit is flashed. Might be true, might not be. Not worth losing powertrain coverage as far as I'm concerned.

One other thing to think about too. It's no secret that these forums exist, and it's also no secret that dealership and manufacturer's reps look at them. There have been a couple widely publicized cases where warranty claims were denied because of either a personal web page boasting about mods, or forum posts doing the same.

Bottom line, don't expect someone else to pay to fix the truck you screwed up.