DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Bad vibrations... (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=69431)

jcasey10 12-24-2010 11:45 PM

Bad vibrations...

I just got my new wheels on and was driving out for christmas eve. Well, took the first corner and felt this really odd vibration. I can hear and feel it a lot going through corners no matter the speed, and just barely when I'm driving straight. I think it sounds like a warped rotor, but I wasn't getting any vibrations when I was slowing down. I don't think it could be an off balance tire either, because it sounds more like metal rubbing. Help? :4-dontknow:

erm 12-24-2010 11:47 PM

Wheels rubbing on the brake caliper? Wheels not mounted flush on the hub? Wheels and tires rubbing on the wheelwell?

jcasey10 12-24-2010 11:50 PM

Well, I stayed with the same size wheel 17x9 and the tires are the same tires. Although, when they mounted them, I had them turn the whitewalls in and they put my back tires on the front. I don't understand how they could rub the wheelwell with the same tires.

erm 12-25-2010 12:04 AM

That's good info you didn't share the first go around here.

What offset wheels did you go with? Did you use spacers? Details please. What's different from your previous set of wheels?

jcasey10 12-25-2010 12:07 AM

Sorry about that.

My new wheels have a -12mm offset, and I'm not quite sure about the old wheels. I know they were similar though. My tires stick out just the same as they used to.

jcasey10 12-25-2010 12:10 AM

I didn't use spacers previously, and I'm not now. The tires are 285/70/17 and my truck is leveled, so I don't think its the tires rubbing.

Before I had the wheels changed out, my truck would shake really bad when braking. I could tell my rotors were getting warped, but kept putting it off. Dumb of me. I'm going to jack the truck up tomorrow, and roll the tires to see if they're wobbling at all. And I'll probably take the wheels off and check the rotors and pads.

erm 12-25-2010 12:13 AM

So this condition existed, to an extent, before you swapped out wheels? Interesting. The only other parameter that could have changed is the torque spec. A higher lb/ft spec would definitely excaberate a warped rotor problem.

I think you are on the right track. I'd pull a rotor and check it for runout.

jcasey10 12-25-2010 12:18 AM

That makes sense. Thanks for the help, Maddog. I'm really hoping O'Reillys will be open, but I don't think I'll have much luck.

RootBeer 12-25-2010 12:31 AM

While they've got the wheel off on the front, have them check the ball joints and upper and lower control arms.

Juice420 12-25-2010 03:18 AM

I think he's gonna do the work himself RB.
But anyway, I agree with Michael. Check your rotors.