DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Heating & Cooling (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   Coolant leak..where from? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=69467)

bobodu 12-25-2010 06:12 PM

Coolant leak..where from?

Appears to be dripping down between the engine and tranny. Nothing to be seen from the engine compartment and the floor is dry.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 12-25-2010 10:47 PM

It could be dripping from the evaporator drain meaning a leaking heater core or a leaking freeze plug .

bobodu 12-26-2010 08:33 AM

After I posted this, I thought about a freeze plug being in the bell housing. Rats... is it better to pull the tranny or the engine?

Toms Blue Ram 1500 12-26-2010 11:14 AM

Well , thats gonna be a judgement call on your part . If it checks out to be a bad freeze plug , it's only a matter of time before other ones start to leak . If you have access to a lift and some special installation tools you can try to pull the trans and replace as many as you can get to .

CajunDodge 12-26-2010 11:22 AM

Freeze plug is what came to mind for me, too.

- Cajun

Ram15002ndgen 12-26-2010 12:35 PM

There is a freeze plug on the back under the tranny bell housing. If it is coolant it may be coming from there. First check to make sure it's not your heater core going bad. The core could be leaking out through the weep hole on the firewall and get redirected due to air flow.

bobodu 12-26-2010 01:40 PM

Hot diggity dog...it's coming from the plug right in front of the starter!! At least that one... could be more, but the rest look good. Anyone know off hand what size that is? Couldn't get my calipers up in there but with my compass scribe it looks to be 1 5/8.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 12-26-2010 01:47 PM

Not sure of the size , but before you knock the old freeze plug out , drain the radiator first , then theres a thread in plug along the side of the engine block . Make sure you have a drain pan under there and pull the plug first . You'll get a good gallon of coolant out of that side of the block . If not once you knock out the plug , you'll get covered in coolant .

RootBeer 12-26-2010 03:17 PM

While you're changing that plug, I'd suggest changing all the plugs you can get to. Parts store should be able to tell you what size plugs you need. Of course getting them out in one piece if you can and marking where they came from is always the best option.

bobodu 12-26-2010 03:35 PM

I just can't believe none of the parts stores in town carries a 1 5/8 plug!!
Got a rubber one and it seems to be holding. Hope it'll last until it warms up or I can build or borrow a hoist to pull the engine. I'm gonna have to pull it and do all the plugs and clean the snot outta that block. Looks like there is a LOT of crap in her. Never should have built that wall in the shop. Can't fit the front end loader and the truck in.