DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   Your knowledge required please (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=70017)

mercuryrv 01-01-2011 01:55 PM

Your knowledge required please

Hi everyone from a cold and wet England. I am hoping that through your knowledge and experience you will be able to answer a couple of questions for a new owner of a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT with a SUPER Cummins 5.9 diesel.

I would like to know if you can replace the rear lamps on the 2004 models with the later ones which have the raised lenses, I think these were used on the 2007 model year trucks. The lamps look the same basic shape where they meet the body, but has anyone actually fitted them please? Obviously I do not want to order them from the USA and pay to have them shipped all the way to the UK only to find they do not fit, so your help if you have done it would be invaluable.

Next question for you is, before I had the unit shipped to the UK I asked the dealer to have two new remote's programmed to operates the door locks, well I got two new remote's but they sure as hell are not programmed to operate the door locks, now as we do not have any Dodge dealers in the UK does anyone actually know if I can programme these myself to work, seems the Texas Dodge dealer I got it from forgot loads of things, like loads of body damage and other missing parts, still he knew it was going to take a long while before it arrived in the UK. Thanks in anticipation of your help. Simon

erm 01-01-2011 01:57 PM

You will have to re-wire to match to the different circuit arrangement on the back of the 2007+ tail lights.

mercuryrv 01-01-2011 02:10 PM

Hi, rewiring is no problem thanks, it is if the later lamp unit fits the body shape without requiring modifications to the body, I need them to just screw into the aperture. The shape looks similar on both types, but the question is do they REALLY fit?

erm 01-01-2011 02:12 PM

They should fit just fine. All I have done is test fit a set of 2005's (your style) to my 2007 and they fit just fine. I just need to re-wire them.

mercuryrv 01-01-2011 02:30 PM

Hi thanks for that I will have to get a set and update them, the main reason for wanting to change them is that in the UK we have to have amber indicators on the rear, we also have to have rear high intensity fog lamps at the rear, so I think we can make the top red lamp the high intensity fog lamps, the next lamp the stop & tail lamp and then the clear back up lamp into the turn signal by using an amber bulb in it. The other difference we have in the UK is that we have to have white sidelamps/position lamps at the front, so we will drill the headlamp reflectors and insert a 22 watt halogen bulb and holder into the headlamp, this then uses the reflector of the headlight to really illuminate when running on position lamps only. So thanks for your help on the subject of the rear lamps, just need to sort out the plip remote now to operate the door locks. Simon

erm 01-01-2011 02:38 PM

Good luck, Simon and keep us updated on your progress. Take pics to show us how it's done, too!

mercuryrv 01-01-2011 02:47 PM

Just so we are sure we are talking about the same type/style of tail lamp, below is a picture of the type I want to fit to the earlier 2004 model.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...1&s=automotive

CdnoilRAM 01-01-2011 05:54 PM

The '07/08 rear lamps will fit the '02-06 body style. The difference is your year's wiring harness has 3 separate bulbs, and the '07/08 lamps have a 2 bulb system, so it should be easier going to your year from the lamps.

Your idea for the front white position markers will work quite nicely, people do a similar thing for strobes for emergency vehicles.

GTyankee 01-01-2011 06:26 PM

Simon, any reputable locksmith should have the resources to program your FOBs ( FOBIKs)
this company should be able to direct you to a locksmith near you
http://www.advanced-keys.co.uk/

Good Luck

Fobik, its the new kind of key where there is NO metal key blade at all, its the key fob with the remote lock/unlock and other features buttons with a square plug on the end, you insert the square plug into the ignition and turn. The electronic interface between the two, is what starts or fails to start the vehicle.

CAUTION about FOBIKs
Fobik keys once programmed, it can NOT be reprogrammed again for another vehicle.

mercuryrv 01-01-2011 08:22 PM

Thank you both very much for your assistance, I have sent an email to the comapny and see where we get to with them, but if anyone knows if it is possible to code them yourself, please let me know. As for the lamps, they are going to be ordered as soon as I get a moment and find someone who will supply/ship them at a reasonable cost to me in the UK.

Another question for you all, I was thinking of buying a later Dodge Ram with the 6.7 Cummins, does anyone have any experience of them and are they better or worse than the trusty 5.9 ISB engine? Final question for you, has anyone ever repaired the lumbar support on a Ram drivers seat? Mine does not work and having stripped the seat it looks like something is missing between the turn knob on the side of the seat and the strap that pulls in to give more support. Obviously cannot go to a junk yard over here.....We do not have junk yards where they part out Dodge Rams!!