DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Recalls and TSB's. (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Recalls (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=70432)

wjsamx 01-05-2011 12:41 PM

Recalls

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2010/...vs-crossovers/

Enter your VIN here to find your Ram's open recalls:

https://www.dodge.com/hostb/crossbrand/owners/en/

dpost01 01-05-2011 03:06 PM

Man, I need to carry around my VIN number or put it in my phone. I could use some free service and hassle some service guys into getting me some free oil changes or something for my time.

E220 01-05-2011 10:12 PM

O. This heading scares me

Do the rams have problems.

:(

rick980 02-17-2011 10:10 PM

So much paranoia it is worse than some old lady in some threads. So many vehicles get built I am surprised more don't have problems, they come down the line less than a minute apart how do you expect anyone to be perfect for 2 hours at a time then take 10 minutes off and get back to work ? Oh I missed the other 9 minute break. Most people have no idea what it is like to work on a line when your break is not for over an hour and you have to take a leak now, and you can't leave you just hope the supervisor or an absentee person comes by...good luck.

wjsamx 02-18-2011 12:28 PM

rick980, your post is bunk.

I've been working a combination of line and field service engineering for 20+ years, non-union, on products much larger than a car and 50x more complex and critical. Some assembly line work being so tedious to be in the tens of thousanths of an inch. Parts of the line require the installation of fiber optic bundles, where if installed hastily would be ruined and stop that part of the line. Other parts of the line require the worker to lift up to 70 lbs, and other parts require the worker to kneel, stand, bend over, lay on their backs, or a combination of all 4 for long periods of time throughout the day. There have been countless times I couldn't take a scheduled break, had no time to use a restroom, have postponed lunch, and nothing less than perfection was expected by the company and it's customers who bought the products or needed them serviced in the field.

There are good dedicated workers on the line who take pride in their skill set, treat products as if they were their own, and places themselves in the shoes of a customer. Then there are slackers only there for a paycheck who simply don't belong on the line and should be given a broom to sweep the floor. The slackers of course are the biggest whiners.

So boo hoo for your line workers and assemblers. Maybe if the plant workers weren't drinking beer and smoking pot on their lunch hours they would perform better and not have to pee so often.

You've recklessly neglected to mention that line workers have no control over poor design, materials, tooling, and management. There are 4 kinds of defects: line defects, engineering defects, tooling defects, and part quality defects. However, parts manufactured in-house on a line can be subject to defects, and out-sourced parts vendor supplied can be subject to defects too.

The rule still holds true today that vehicles built on a Friday, Monday, before or after a holiday, have the most line defects.

There isn't anything wrong with a customer concered about a recall for defects that may take their lives, the lives of their family, and the lives of people in other vehicles.

If you've posted your comment because you're a line worker, then I wouldn't want a product that you've touched. To validate poor quality, justifying it with break and pee time issues, is just rediculous. Maybe instead looking at the clock, the line worker should be looking at the quality of his or her work. Sounds like you're the old lady. Go buy yourself adult diapers if you have leak problems.

In defense of good line workers, statistically, most recalls and issues are related to engineering and part quality defects. Many times it's the good line worker who spots a defect within the assembly or design and announces it. Not everything on paper is perfect in the real world.

Line quality issues are somtimes related to workers deviating from the method sheet, but more often because a modified method sheet did not reach the line in a timely manner.

In being human, yes, even the best of workers have off days. This is what QC is for and even then, some line defects slip through, but rarely.

Most vehicles are built extremely well. Manufacturing plants have numerous redundency systems called good workers. For example, a part manufactured in-house that has a flaw may not be flagged by the worker on that line, but is spotted and flagged further down on another line. A line worker might be installing a wiring harness and notices that it's subject to rubbing against a sharp edge, and is announced. A line worker may notice a tool they're using may not be working correctly, for example a power torque wrench, and announces that it may need calibration or be changed out as to not over-tighten or too loosely tighten bolts. Many times it's the good line worker who saves or breaks the day.