DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.7L (345 cu in) HEMI V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196)
-   -   Fender flares not so Ram Tough. Invisible bras/protection (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=70500)

Quiet Lunatic 01-05-2011 11:52 PM

Fender flares not so Ram Tough. Invisible bras/protection

The lower rear fender flares, where the bottom of the back doors are more or less, sure aren't that durable. While I had a great road trip to start off with. There aren't any nicks or issues on my truck where you would think there would be. Meaning the inside of the front fender flares where the tires throw junk into, along the bottom sides etc. All looks good. But, those rear fender flares have white spots and some paint even missing already. 1550 miles as of today. The dealer said it's not a warranty item as it's from road use. They said Chrysler told them no as well. But again it is not consistant at all with the rest of the truck. For the wear you see on them, there should be major nicks in the front flares, the lower doors etc. I love Dodge trucks. But Ram tough when it comes to the fender flares? NOPE. More like dainty little aesthetics. Next week I'm having that 3m invisible bra put on the front end, the headlights and the flares. Seems Dodge should have these 3m shields be stock on the rear flares to prevent them looking like crap fast. I sent an email to Dodge under the warranty section as well. Will be interesting on how corporate responds to a very loyal (7 trucks to date) customer. Has anyone put on the 3m bra?

MTtruckr 01-07-2011 07:54 PM

I'm not sure if it was 3M or not, but I had a clear bra put on the hood about 1/3 the way up about a year and a half ago when I got the truck. So far it has been great. No color change or pealing or bubbling. I will put it on my next one thats for sure. I have a chrome bumper and didn't bother with the plastic bumper cover.

Bighorn5.7 01-07-2011 08:57 PM

look on ebay, you can find the 3m product on rolls in different sizes and use it to protect whatever. I did the rockers and very bottom lip of the front corner on the box where the wheel spray chips off the paint on all of these trucks. I showed my nieghbor who is also a dodge guy and he was shocked when i showed him where there was no paint! touched it up and fixed his too, still holding strong too years later!

Quiet Lunatic 01-09-2011 12:20 PM

Nigel goes in Tuesday for the front hood clear bra, the front of the fenders, the top piece on the chrome bumper, the headlights, the fog lights, the rocker panels and fender flares. Geez, I'm going to have to change his name from Nigel to "The Trojan."

ewb 01-13-2011 11:44 PM

I love fender flares and have had them on a couple of rams but I wont put them on because they always screw up the paint where they touch. My last dodge had scratches already showing up around all four of the flares and I had to take some scratchout to remove them. Luckely, they still hadnt warn thru yet. I think the reason they do that is because they are not actually attached to the fender and dust and dirt, and grime get in there and as they move around the crap in between them actually scratches the clearcoat. I'v seen pictures on different dodge discussion boards where it has already trash the fenders. I am sure there will be the nay sayers forth coming.

erm 01-14-2011 01:38 AM

I used 3M clear bra on my SRT. It's been on there almost 4 years and it's hold up pretty well. I may change it out next year. It is finally starting to bubble up a little on the mirrors. The hood and front fascia parts are looking great! Sure has saved the paint.

Bighorn5.7 01-14-2011 12:03 PM

I would agree the fender flares do some damage as described above, i thought i had the issue solved by using silicone to help hold them in place. after a year though it has become loose again probably from the car wash. I now hope that some 3M molding adhesive might do the trick to hold them in place. That does involve removing them again and cleaning all the silicone off the fenders! But i did by the Mopar power wagon flares because i was concerned about this happening and a year later the wear was there. Luckly not down to the bare metal, but through the clear coat or close!