DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2010 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   After market exhaust for 4.7 (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=70534)

M n M 01-06-2011 02:39 PM

After market exhaust for 4.7

Ok so I've searched and I don't seem to find much info on exhaust for the 4.7. There is however tons of info for the 5.7 hemi owners. I know there has to be more 4.7 owners out there than me???

I think I'm down to either Magnaflow or Flowmaster. I plan to run dual exhaust after the muffler. I want the best sound and performance (please no... then you should have bought a Hemi! responses).

My question are, which one sounds better on the 4.7? I don't have MDS so the drone sound should not be a problem.

Also does anyone know if the 4.7 has a resonator?

Has anyone tried to run dual after the catalytic convertor with two mufflers?

What increase (or decrease) in HP and MPG did you find?

Any info would be great!!

916Timmy 01-06-2011 02:59 PM

My buddy has a flowmaster 40 on his 06 4.7 dumped before the axel and it sounds great! Not too loud and no drone issues! It was cheap too! I think it was maybe 125 installed! He also has a Cortex programmer and Volant CAI and it is DEFINATELY faster and sounds better than stock. Probably 20-25 hp increase overall.

yodahog 01-07-2011 10:14 AM

I believe there is a resonator between the stock muffler and the tailpipe. I am thinking of doing a muffler swap using a Dynomax Bullet and a dump, removing the resonator.

Chinchilla 01-07-2011 10:32 AM

I had a shop run a custom Y-Pipe (make sure they install it or fab it nicely, some shops are crap), to a 50 series flowmaster (Delta, less drone, triple baffle) and had them route twin outlets to the rear formed into a Hemi dual cut-out rear bumper. Beyond pleased with the sound. Almost zero cab resonance and when you get on it she souunds better than a Hemi equipped truck.

KRAZYK 01-07-2011 11:16 AM

I plan on doing a muffler swap with my 4.7

Mine came stock with the single exhaust :smiledown: So I'm still trying to choose between just swapping the muffler and use my stock tail pipe/resonator OR just dumping after the muffler. I'm not too excited about those fumes building up under my bed like that though..

Looking at 18" Magnaflow (or mufflex for easy install) or a Flowmaster 40.

05dodgeram 01-07-2011 12:20 PM

I bought a 50 series flowmaster from the local auto parts store along with an adapter to get (3" dia), a 3" 90 degree pipe and a real nice 3" to 4" polished chrome tip. Took about an hour, $120 and was back cruisen. Sounds awesome and would not buy anything else. I have an 2005 1500 4.7. (this thing really hummmmms great when towing too)

05dodgeram 01-07-2011 12:23 PM

I did have a Gibson sport exhaust that was just way too loud and rusted apart in 3 years. IMHO I would not buy anything other than flowmaster again. Just my .02 worth. Good Luck.

magnusdeus24 01-07-2011 12:35 PM

I bought the Heartthrob dual kit and it sounds really nice. It has 2 glass packs instead of 1 muffler which I would recommend. I got maybe 15 hp from it, but I ended up taking off the glass packs and just put 2 hollow tips on it now so I'm muffler free, which did hurt my gas mileage a good amount.

MrCrash 01-07-2011 02:52 PM

I had a Cherry Bomb Pro on my 4.7 (2008 Dakota), and it sounded great. I removed all of the resonators and had it dumped out the side. I can post a couple sound clips later if you are interested.

M n M 01-07-2011 10:41 PM

That would help greatly!