DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Warranty Issues (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Should I buy the extended warranty (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=70829)

rocketman 01-08-2011 09:44 PM

Should I buy the extended warranty

I am buying a 2011 laramie and thinking about the extended warranty (I am in Canada). I will be using the truck for business and will be driving a lot on the highway. I know if something goes wrong it would be good to have it, however it seams like its pretty expensive. I think they said it was $3000.00 for 200,000km powertrain. So that 3k for an additional 100,000kms of powertrain only.

Advice? price paid? better options?

CdnoilRAM 01-08-2011 10:01 PM

I'm make sure you get the MaxCare equivalent, the full bumper to bumper is well worth the price.

2011Ram 01-09-2011 02:16 AM

23,000 km before I traded in my 2004 with a hemi, the engine got hydro-locked in deep water at only 111,000 km. The new engine cost $11,200. These things are expensive to fix! With all the electronics on the new trucks, all it takes is one major component to fail and the warranty would pay for itself. My cost was $1,400 to have full bumper to bumper for the whole power train warranty period.

E.L.D. 44 01-09-2011 11:25 AM

I just purchased a 2011 sport 4x4. I bought a lifetime bumper to bumper, 5 year paintless dent repair, and 5 year tire/wheel/roadside hazard protection for $3200. The extended warranty is almost as much as the lifetime so if you do one do the lifetime. It's a 100 dollar deductible and covers everything the original factory warranty covers, AND it's thru Chrysler so any dealer will honor it. They send you a card to show the dealer to identify your warranty. I am doing several aftermarket things to my vehicle things and checked with service before I pulled the trigger.

Good luck and if you have any other specific questions about coverage I can scan the paperwork and send it to you...

Toms Blue Ram 1500 01-09-2011 11:48 AM

Also check with your insurance company . Some of them do offer a mechanical break down insurance .

erm 01-09-2011 11:57 AM

Mine paid off in less than a year. I got the MaxCare warranty (basically bumper to bumper except wear items) for the web advertised price at Chryslercontracts.com through the dealer.

The truck has been in twice for driveline fixes (one intermediate bearing for the driveshaft, one u-joint replacement) and once to replace the REC NAV head unit. For $200 out of pocket ($100 deductible, driveline services were counted as one to fix a vibration) I got approx. $400 in service performed and $2300 in parts replaced.

My warranty cost me $1970 so I'd say it was worth it.

GTyankee 01-09-2011 01:01 PM

When i bought my truck in February 2009, i was thinking about the HUGE debt that i had just accrued & the Finance Dept. guy was Not answering my questions in a direct way, so just wanted to get out of there with wiggly bits still attached. So i was not really listening to my warranty options, so i just bought the 5 year 36,000 mile basic plan.
Just before it hit the 36,000 mile mark, I upgraded the warranty to the
bumper to bumper, unlimited mileage, Lifetime Maximum Care Plan. No plastic parts, like my hood & bumpers are covered, or so i was told. No wear parts are covered either, BUT, when i bought my truck, my purchase price included a Lifetime Drivetrain Warranty, so the engine, transmission, & rear differential is covered by that. There are other warranties that no one remembers about such as Federal Emissions Warranty and Corrosion Warranty.

*NOTE
Federal Emissions Warranty
The Federal Emissions Warranty guidelines are based on federal regulations and apply to vehicles in all 50 states. Vehicles are covered by two types of emissions control system warranty, "Emission Defect Warranty" and "Emissions Performance Warranty".

Depending on the state you live in, the Performance Warranty is for 3 years/50,000 miles. The Defect Warranty is generally consistent with the manufacturer's bumper-to-bumper warranty with certain parts (catalytic converter and electronic emissions controls (PCM) for up to 8 years/80,000 miles. Please refer to your owner's manual for your exact emissions warranty.

Corrosion Warranty
Covers rust-through perforation on sheet metal for a specified term. Surface corrosion from scratched, nicks and dents are not covered. Please refer to your owner's manual for your exact corrosion warranty.

mrbvlo 01-09-2011 07:09 PM

I got the MaxCare package for 2700.00 on my 2011 Ram RT. Bumper to Bumper, less the wear items (brakes, tires, etc.) for unlimited miles, unlimited time. I tend to finance my vehicles for 5 years and then keep them another 5 without a having a payment. But this deal is so sweet, I may just keep it for the next 20. Any Chrysler, Dodge dealer will perform the repairs and it's a 100 dollar deductible for each visit. If the repair takes more than 4 hours, they give me a rental for up to 5 days (35.00) a day. My dealership also offered free oil changes for life as an incentive to buy. I'm pretty much set and happy as a clam!

SnowChief 01-09-2011 07:31 PM

I got the extended warranty and was able to negotiate it down ( I think I paid about $1.2k. $3k seems high, although I bought my Ram warranty in 2008. Will they negotiate with you?

GTyankee 01-09-2011 07:40 PM

when you get the extended warranties, IF you have like the 5 or 7 year plan, you buy the Lifetime warranty & at the same time, they pro rate the current plan, because you have to cancel it, to get the new warranty, you pay the difference between the pro rated value & the price of the new plan, for my Lifetime Warranty minus the pro rated value, i paid $1100