DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Public Safety (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   state to state laws (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=70896)

CdnoilRAM 01-09-2011 07:08 PM

state to state laws

I have a question. If you have a vehicle registered in another state (or in my case, country) are you subject to the state's registration laws? I'm talking about things like tint laws, exhaust noise level, etc. Also, if the state is strict on their emissions, like cali, and my truck didn't have cats or the DPF on a diesel, could they impound the vehicle if I'm driving through the state?

Trublue 01-09-2011 07:25 PM

I have 2 of my vehicles registered in other counties, I have my GTI and Jetta registered in Northern California where once you buy a vehicle you dont have to smog it till you sell it. Then I have my pre-smog cars and my Ram registered in Southern California where i reside. That way I get to wildly tune my GTI and Jetta without worries.

GTyankee 01-09-2011 07:28 PM

in Cali, no one cares about what is not visible, until its time to renew the registration in this state, unless it is what is called a gross polluter, in other words smoke coming out the exhaust so bad that no one behind you can see, then they can give you a ticket or warning.
I have not seen a vehicle towed except for being over a month late renewing a registration, exceptionally reckless driving, or no current drivers license, but, don't get caught driving around with a baby & no child seat, you never what may happen then

some parts of San Diego County have strict smog laws, but, go up the hill to 3,000 feet & no smog laws, i don't know why, its only 50 miles from the city

uktitus 01-09-2011 07:36 PM

I would think as long as it is legal where it is registered there should be no problem. If there was a problem no one would not be able to travel to Canada.The only thing if going through Oregon to California don't get caught carrying your fruit and veg.

GTyankee 01-09-2011 07:47 PM

LOL did you get caught at the California Bug Station ???
i have heard about them not letting yachts into california, every time we enter California with a yacht on a semi truck, they inspect for some kind of Mussel that they don't want here. The hull has to have been power washed

Chili1K 01-09-2011 07:56 PM

tho only major violations being pulled over for is if you have emergency lights and you have the wrong color visable on your POV. most of the time they use the visable reasons to pull you over as a suspect.. they leave you alone 90% of the time if you're behaving.

iRESQu 01-09-2011 08:03 PM

I got pulled over in GA for Banshee's height and fought with the officer because I bought the truck from a dealer in SC already done like that and plated in SC. He didn't have a leg to stand on and had to let me go. Being military and moving often, we encounter this scenerio. Usually if you aren't doing anything HIGHLY illegal, they won't JUST pull you over.

uktitus 01-09-2011 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTyankee (Post 406359)
LOL did you get caught at the California Bug Station ???
i have heard about them not letting yachts into california, every time we enter California with a yacht on a semi truck, they inspect for some kind of Mussel that they don't want here. The hull has to have been power washed

No, It just amuses me I can understand in a way the boats but how do you stop wild life [ to the squirrel you can't take that acorn across that state line]

CdnoilRAM 01-09-2011 08:24 PM

Alright, so if I DO drive down to tennesee, I shouldn't have an issue with my exhaust, tint, emergency lighting (which is OFF when I drive), or lack of front plate? Just wanna make sure and to see if the fuzz would have a leg to stand on if they tried. Not saying I plan on getting pulled over, but I've heard some counties are really bad for things like tint.

iRESQu 01-09-2011 08:26 PM

Tint might catch the eye of some bored officer, but I just open my sunroof or crack a window to let light in.