DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram R/T (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Cutting hood scoops (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=70916)

garner 01-09-2011 10:30 PM

Cutting hood scoops

Well after racing a prelude the other day I've been getting a lot of crap from ricers at my school about the hood scoops being just show. Ironic huh? Anyways I was wondering if anybody had drilled out the holes in the scoops and cut the hood liner so that the scoops would be functional and if it helped any?

Juice420 01-09-2011 10:32 PM

And your worried about this because ricers are talkin' trash!?
You can't even compare a ricer to a RAM!!

Toms Blue Ram 1500 01-09-2011 10:35 PM

Cutting the scoops open won't help a bit . Tell them the scoops are closed off to avoid from sucking the Prelude up across your hood .

chithead 01-10-2011 07:01 AM

SPEEDFREAK here has done it.

Juice420 01-10-2011 07:05 AM

:LOL: @ Tom's response!! I think a few reps are in order for that one.

UltraFlame 01-10-2011 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toms Blue Ram 1500 (Post 406631)
Cutting the scoops open won't help a bit . Tell them the scoops are closed off to avoid from sucking the Prelude up across your hood .

ROTFLMAO.

I like to scare the stuffing out of SMART cars.

killerbee 01-10-2011 09:05 AM

I'd focus on doing other mods vs. worrying about a functional hood scoop. To get any real benefit from a functional hood scoop is if you're going to bee doing a true ram-air setup. That's not available as of now for 09's+ to my knowledge.

CdnoilRAM 01-10-2011 09:51 AM

Agreed, if you want to get the best out of your truck, do the other mods first. Cutting the scoops out will only help reduce underhood temps, not put more air to your airbox/CAI UNLESS you've got a ram-air set up, and like killerbee, I don't believe there's one for the 4th gen yet. Besides, the ram air only works at speed anyhow, and not really in the power category.

My set up doesn't give me any extra get up and go, but it does give me better top end power when I'm over 80km/hr when it's actually pushing enough air in to make any difference.

Have you told them that you could haul the ricers around, or even better, just drive over the curb onto a grassy patch and dare them to follow you. :LOL:

garner 01-10-2011 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM (Post 406960)
Agreed, if you want to get the best out of your truck, do the other mods first. Cutting the scoops out will only help reduce underhood temps, not put more air to your airbox/CAI UNLESS you've got a ram-air set up, and like killerbee, I don't believe there's one for the 4th gen yet. Besides, the ram air only works at speed anyhow, and not really in the power category.

My set up doesn't give me any extra get up and go, but it does give me better top end power when I'm over 80km/hr when it's actually pushing enough air in to make any difference.

Have you told them that you could haul the ricers around, or even better, just drive over the curb onto a grassy patch and dare them to follow you. :LOL:

That's what I was wondering not necessarily more air, but a heat extraction type thing like the srt10 hood

chithead 01-10-2011 10:41 AM

They are in a good spot for intaking more air... but I worry about more water or snow getting sucked in as well. Would have to devise some way of letting fluids drain and just air getting to the motor.