DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Big-3 upgrade (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=70921)

CdnoilRAM 01-09-2011 10:55 PM

Big-3 upgrade

With the power demands I'll be looking at, I'm contemplating the big 3 upgrade, and came across this site http://dynamicgrounding.com/ on another fo-*cough*-um. The guys have been quite happy with the product, but what do you think. It's mostly just grounding, but 4AWG to both heads with 2AWG from the battery to the frame all for $77. Would this be a good/simple way to do the upgrade, or should I just do it my self with cable from the local Acklands?

What do I really need to upgrade? Do I need to up the grounding from the heads as well, or just the alt - +ve, +ve - fuse box, and -ve to frame?

dodgeman70592 01-09-2011 11:08 PM

More grounding doesn't hurt, but it doesn't do much either.

The alternator is gonna send what it's rated for, and no more, and your stock wiring is plenty for that current.

Kinda liike a pipeline...compressor pushes "X" gallons per minute through say a 24" line. You change the line to a 36", the compressor is still pushing "X" gallons per minute.

As long as you have good grounds and a strong battery, that is all you need..

Ryank 01-09-2011 11:32 PM

As far as i've read you want to upgrade the + from the alt to the battery, the - from the engine block to the battery, and the - from the battery to the stock ground, usually somewhere on the fender.

chithead 01-10-2011 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodgeman70592 (Post 406683)

The alternator is gonna send what it's rated for, and no more, and your stock wiring is plenty for that current.

Kinda liike a pipeline...compressor pushes "X" gallons per minute through say a 24" line. You change the line to a 36", the compressor is still pushing "X" gallons per minute.

Agreed. If anything start with the battery, then go from there. That $77 kit looks like one of the biggest scams I've seen since the "Solar powered clothes dryer" days.

Are they actually claiming that a Big three upgrade will give you more HP and Torque? Wow... Just wow.

CdnoilRAM 01-10-2011 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodgeman70592 (Post 406683)

But, with a larger pipe diameter you reduce flow restriction, the point that you stop is when you have to compare cost vs flow potential. A similar comparison id pushing the same volume through a garden hose compared to a fire hose.

Anyhow, with pushing close to 100A in audio alone, would upgrading the vehicle's power cables be something I should do, or only if I notice some dimming issues.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chithead (Post 406835)
Agreed. If anything start with the battery, then go from there. That $77 kit looks like one of the biggest scams I've seen since the "Solar powered clothes dryer" days.

Are they actually claiming that a Big three upgrade will give you more HP and Torque? Wow... Just wow.

Lol, I was ignoring the gains in HP and MPG, I called BS the minute I saw that. But the guys that have done this upgrade have claimed faster start ups on stroked motors, less dimming of lights, and a more constant bass note. And as a side not, these guys that are reviewing aren't newbies, so i do kinda believe them.

dodgeman70592 01-10-2011 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM (Post 406919)
But, with a larger pipe diameter you reduce flow restriction, the point that you stop is when you have to compare cost vs flow potential. A similar comparison id pushing the same volume through a garden hose compared to a fire hose.

Anyhow, with pushing close to 100A in audio alone, would upgrading the vehicle's power cables be something I should do, or only if I notice some dimming issues.

As for that analogy, yes......But the pipe you already have is bigger than required for that flow....There is no restriction currently.

Don't let the 100amps distract you, you probably will never pull that...EVER.

Mine is rated 150 main, 60 and 80 on fuse distro.....I am running 3 amps that arent as efficient as your HD's. You are fine...

CdnoilRAM 01-10-2011 10:04 AM

Alrighty then. :LOL: can you tell I'm an audio newb? I really do hope to make Gatty, just so you can see how badly I butchered this job :gy:

chithead 01-10-2011 10:12 AM

You gonna make a detour over to my neck of the woods so I can check it out too?

dodgeman70592 01-10-2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM (Post 406978)
Alrighty then. :LOL: can you tell I'm an audio newb? I really do hope to make Gatty, just so you can see how badly I butchered this job :gy:

How will ya know if ya don't ask....:)

CdnoilRAM 01-10-2011 10:18 AM

I think my biggest problem is that I know enough to get myself into a lot of trouble, but not enough to get out of it. Now I just need to find someone that's not tone deaf to do the tuning on it.