DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=188)
-   -   Ignition Switch and Fan Blower Problem (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=71392)

steelman512 01-14-2011 06:02 PM

Ignition Switch and Fan Blower Problem

So I have this issue where the fan blower stays on when I turn the truck off. If I wiggle the key around or turn it off slowly I can get it to kill the vent blower, and it seems this issue lies within the igniton. So......I bought an ignition switch at Advanced Auto for around $35, it's just a black piece of plastic with connections on both sides for wire harnesses. I have the top of the steering column off, but can't get the tilt wheel lever off to remove the bottom.......??? Also anybody have info on swapping the switch out? I already know how to remove the airbag, etc.

steelman512 01-14-2011 06:03 PM

By the way its an 02 Dodge Ram 1500 Quadcab 5.9L

rotorhead0923 01-19-2011 01:08 PM

re: ignition switch and fan blower problem

I have the same issue, only sometimes the fan won't come on again for a while. Did the new switch fix your problem?

RamTech 01-19-2011 01:50 PM

You just have to pull hard on the tilt lever to get it to come off.

steelman512 01-19-2011 04:09 PM

Yeah the switch fixed the issue, and it was about $30 at Advanced. RamTech you were right just pull the tilt steering lever to you until it pops off. Use a #20 stardriver to remove 3 screws on the bottom cover. Remove the top and bottom of steering column. Remove neg battery terminal, insert your key and turn to on. Insert a screwdriver up underneath the ignition and push in a spring loaded pin until you can wiggle the key+ignition out and place to the side. The electronic switch is on the left side of the column and has a couple quick disconnects and a couple screws. Just swap and put it back together. Hope this helps.

RootBeer 01-19-2011 05:06 PM

Great detailed report. :rep: Don't suppose you got pics, huh? :D

loveday.ag 02-09-2011 12:35 AM

Ok I am going to buy a new switch in the morning. I have to drive 5 hours to a funeral and the highs are only suppose to be in the low 20's. Heat would be great!

farmboy69 08-09-2011 09:34 AM

Ignition switch and connector charred

I have the same problem with my 2003 Ram. The ignition switch and the connector both had charring on the 1 and 8 terminals affecting my blower motor and security system. The blower motor is powered by the dark green wire and the security system by the pink/black. I see there are issues with the switch and didn't realize they were an issue and never had problems with mine til last week and Ive got 180,000 miles on it. Glad to hear a new switch cured the problem I'm getting one today. Just joined the forum today and glad to be a member.

geneshereen 02-29-2012 06:54 PM

my 04 ram interior fan goes off whenever I tilt the steering wheel down. I removed the steering wheen shroud and I see a black plastic box on the left side with the word VALEO on it. when I move this box, the fan comes on. So I took an electrical strap and strapped it up against the column so now the fan works all the time. I fear this is just a temporary fix so I am wondering it that is the part that need s to be replaced and if so, what is it called.?
thanks Gene

majake01 06-14-2012 10:42 PM

Any resolution

Quote:

Originally Posted by geneshereen (Post 737141)
my 04 ram interior fan goes off whenever I tilt the steering wheel down. I removed the steering wheen shroud and I see a black plastic box on the left side with the word VALEO on it. when I move this box, the fan comes on. So I took an electrical strap and strapped it up against the column so now the fan works all the time. I fear this is just a temporary fix so I am wondering it that is the part that need s to be replaced and if so, what is it called.?
thanks Gene

geneshereen, I have exactly the same problem. Did you ever get a satisfactory resolution to your problem?