DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2010 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   2010 Ram; Windshield wiper safety issue (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=71977)

Tanker67 01-20-2011 11:13 AM

2010 Ram; Windshield wiper safety issue

Wondering if anyone is experiencing the same problem i am. I have a 2010 Ram 1500 Sport QC 4x4 that has major issues with the windshield wipers when it gets cold. When the temperature dips below freezing the wipers seem to not sit on the glass excepts for the tips. When I need to clean my windshield, only about 2 inches at the top and bottom of the wipers actually touch the glass. This leaves my field of vision untouched and and filthy to the point where I have to pull over every couple miles(when the snow falls and the salt trucks hit the road the windshield gets dirty really quick) and clean the glass with a squeegee and towel. This happens to both the driver and passenger side. I keep the defrost on high fan and high heat to try and remedy this and even after 2 hours of driving I am still pulling over every couple miles so I can clean the glass. The dealer was no help and i thought i would ask here to see if anyone else has this issue or advise. As soon as I am done here I am writing the National Highway Traffic Safety Admin., Dodge and my states Attorney General. I really believe this is a design flaw on Dodge's part that could lead to serious injury or death. I think being able to see out of my windshield is kinda important. And one other thing, its not the rubber blade thats freezing because I have run my fingers down the blades to remove any ice its the actual wiper arms.

RamTech 01-20-2011 11:19 AM

I haven't seen this complaint in our shop and we just came through 2 solid weeks of snow and ice. It sounds to me like the spring in the wiper arm isn't able to overcome the buildup of snow/ice under it and that's what's causing the problem. It did happen to my truck a couple of times but pulling up on the arms a few times cleared the ice and the problem was solved.

Tanker67 01-20-2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamTech (Post 418281)
I haven't seen this complaint in our shop and we just came through 2 solid weeks of snow and ice. It sounds to me like the spring in the wiper arm isn't able to overcome the buildup of snow/ice under it and that's what's causing the problem. It did happen to my truck a couple of times but pulling up on the arms a few times cleared the ice and the problem was solved.

Thanks, I've tried that too with no luck. My dealer told me 1 other Ram owner came in with the same problem so they pulled it in and parked the truck under the shop heater and after about 5 min. his wipers were doing what they were suppose to do. I wonder how far after he left that they were doing the same thing?

Tanker67 01-20-2011 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamTech (Post 418281)

Today there was no snow or visible ice on the wiper arm, just temps in the mid 20's and wipers were useless.

RamTech 01-20-2011 11:51 AM

It's just a thought, but you might try spraying some WD-40 in the pivot pin on the wiper arm to displace any residual moisture. This may help prevent freezing.

wickedpissahtruck 01-20-2011 12:57 PM

Gotta agree with you Tanker. I can't say mine are quite that bad where I have to pull over and wipe the windshield during inclement weather, but they are awful in the colder temperatures here in New England. If Dodge were smart, and maybe they do offer this not sure, they would offer a winter package that would include heated mirrors, rear defrost, heated washer fluid, better winter tires, and definitely wiper blades that don't suck! Saw a thread on here recently about wiper blades and someone suggested PIAA blades, but they are pricey. Might be worth it though in your case.

SnowChief 01-20-2011 01:21 PM

I have Latitude wiper blades since I plow and they defintely help with the snow (in fact they are great). The stock blades did not perform well - it was very frustrating.

RootBeer 01-20-2011 01:30 PM

In the winter I leave my wipers standing out when my truck is parked. I do it so snow and ice do not build up either on the blade or inside it. In the past when I was driving every day or taking road trips in the winter I also used the winter blades that are enclosed which are much more durable. I've never seen a stock blade on any vehicle that could hold up to winter snow and ice.

Here's a pic after a heavy snow fall. Notice there's nothing on the wipers. They also worked perfectly after I cleared the window as a result.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...er/10igloo.jpg

Tanker67 01-20-2011 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowChief (Post 418397)
I have Latitude wiper blades since I plow and they defintely help with the snow (in fact they are great). The stock blades did not perform well - it was very frustrating.

Yea, frustrating doesn't even begin to cover it. I don't even have to have snow on the window for wipers to do that. It can be a clear day and all i want to do is clean the window so I hit the wiper fluid and when the temp is below freezing, forget it. I just impaired my vision until I am able to pull over and clean the glass. I've had other trucks that did the same thing, not as bad though, but as soon as the defrost kicked in it seemed to warm the blade up enough to be able to follow the contour of the windshield and all was clean. I feel like a complete idiot :LOL:on the side of the freeway cleaning my windshield all the time.

Tanker67 01-20-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RootBeer (Post 418399)
In the winter I leave my wipers standing out when my truck is parked. I do it so snow and ice do not build up either on the blade or inside it. In the past when I was driving every day or taking road trips in the winter I also used the winter blades that are enclosed which are much more durable. I've never seen a stock blade on any vehicle that could hold up to winter snow and ice.

Here's a pic after a heavy snow fall. Notice there's nothing on the wipers. They also worked perfectly after I cleared the window as a result.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...er/10igloo.jpg

Been there, done that. Didn't help. In fact, when I park it outside in the winter I always do that.