DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=189)
-   -   Moment of stupidity= Destroyed mirror (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=72335)

socket462 01-24-2011 07:52 AM

Moment of stupidity= Destroyed mirror

I was driving last night on a street that was a bit narrower due to snow- when due to my inattention to the right side from a vehicle coming the other direction, I clipped a mirror of an older van with my passenger side mirror. The van's mirror was only slightly damaged (I think it was solid steel!) while my mirror was destroyed-- with pieces all over the street! I have never done this before in my 25 years of driving, so I feel pretty stupid to say the least!

My question is-- do the aftermarket mirrors have the fit and finish of the factory units? I have the fold away- non trailer tow power w/ defrost (GTS) mirrors. They are sustantially less expensive - and Ebay has some even cheaper (which makes me wonder even more!).

Thanks!
Dave

2007 1500 QCSB

916Timmy 01-24-2011 09:27 AM

They should be good to go, seen plenty of street scene mirrors, they are good!

erm 01-24-2011 02:51 PM

I'd just get a MOPAR replacement myself and not worry about the quality of the aftermarket stuff.

sk8noregon 02-01-2011 06:12 PM

^^^Yep yep^^^OEM gets rid of the worry !

platinuminjected 02-01-2011 06:32 PM

oooh that suxs dude and i would have to agree wit maddog on this one

socket462 02-05-2011 11:07 AM

Well.. I got a Kool-Vue from Ebay for $38 shipped-- and its a perfect fit! I tested the motor before mounting just to be sure-- but it is identical to OEM.. and less than half the price. (I just may have to buy a spare mirror to have on hand! lol..).

Dalton 02-05-2011 12:17 PM

was that heated and powered for $38?

Valve 02-05-2011 01:32 PM

LoL that's the reason I cant install my tow mirror's,Until I install my lift this summer.
All the streets were i live are like that,I even got to watch offset's with new wheels.
were one side parking is allowed the street's narrower so with offset ill have to curb it.

socket462 02-11-2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalton (Post 434299)
was that heated and powered for $38?

Yes-- heated AND powered-- I tested the defrost the other day and it works fine. I really cannot see any physical difference from the OEM. And if the motor fails early or something, another $40 or so, and about 20 minutes to install is a small price compared to a $200 factory unit. I am all for factory parts, but in this case I am convinced it was a good buy!

socket462 02-11-2011 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valve (Post 434360)
LoL that's the reason I cant install my tow mirror's,Until I install my lift this summer.
All the streets were i live are like that,I even got to watch offset's with new wheels.
were one side parking is allowed the street's narrower so with offset ill have to curb it.

I hear ya- most of our streets here in Iowa are very narrow- and of course most drivers can't tell how wide their cars are and swing it into the opposing lane to avoid parked cars!! While we have to put our sidewalls into the snow piles, they live the 'nice and safe' life taking up OUR lanes! lol..

My parents have a Cadillac with power folding mirrors (she can push a button and the mirrors fold in)-- I thought that was a silly option to have, until recently! lol