DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Heating & Cooling (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190)
-   -   Heat comes from middle vents, not floor or defroster, what gives? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=72377)

Red Ram Girl 01-24-2011 04:57 PM

Heat comes from middle vents, not floor or defroster, what gives?

Hello, I have a 2004 Hemi 5.7 4x4 Ram.

Just recently we had quite a cold snap, much below zero. Now the heater will not go to the floor or the defroster, just blasts through the center vents.

Tough to drive because the windshield is frozen. On the floor it's cold toes. Then an overheated middle section. I live in Minnesota.

I've heard that Dodge knows of this problem (Blend Doors breaking or locking) but will not put out a recall for it. SHAME on you.

What should I do RAM PEOPLE?????????????

erm 01-24-2011 05:20 PM

Have you checked with the dealer on a TSB specific to this problem? I hear what you are saying about the problem being a known issue. So maybe there is one out there on this. I'd check into that.

Also remember your truck is 7 years old.

Most TSB's come out of first year problems that recur often enough to warrant the mfgr to issue a bulletin on the problem and reimburse dealers for the work to correct the issue.

4timerammer 03-19-2011 08:03 PM

I can understand your pain Red Ram Girl. I have a simular problem, my heat only comes out of the defrost or the middle vents not the floor. I plow snow in Michigan and that can be quite cold on the feet after getting back in the truck after shoveling walkways.I have asked many people and got a wide asortment of answers. One told me it is a vacum problem one said maybe i droped something in the vent preventing the doors from closing. I hope we can get some answers here. Thats why i joined. As i read the problems from others it reminds me of the problems i am dealing with I hope I will be able to help others with something soon lord knows i have had my share of problems

kwatson 06-16-2011 06:39 PM

When mine stopped working, it was the outside air blender door. It had broke off and fallen over the top of the blower motor. I removed the blower (3 screws) and stuck my hand up in the hole and just removed the door and then puit the blower back in. Took about 10 minuutes once I figured out what had happend. Maybe yours is the same thing?

fmycsmith 06-24-2011 12:48 PM

I have the same issue with my Ram. I will try your solution kwatson and I will get back to you on this. Thanks.

vegas56 07-01-2011 08:10 PM

I had the same problem a couple of years ago. The doors break at the actuator. The extended warranty didn't cover it.
I found an aftermarket supplier of MUCH better quality doors & have replaced 3 three of them. I think the company name is "HeaterTreater" It requires a little surgery but isn't too difficult & beats the dealer charging $1200+ to put the same lousy quality door back in. Good luck.

GTyankee 03-08-2012 01:36 PM

all Dodge heating/AC systems that have had this issue are basically the same
fords have it too

these videos are about 8 minutes apiece & there are 3 of them, just from heatertreater

Youtube also has several other ways people found to fix it

http://www.heatertreater.net/dodge-ram-95-02
http://www.heatertreater.net/dodge-ram-02-08

Dodge will pull your whole dash to fix the heater & then they put the same type cheap WHITE plastic parts back in it
the after market parts are made of of a better plastic, not so brittle

starquestbd22 03-08-2012 02:08 PM

Thread from the dead, lol!!! Did you realize the next most recent post on this thread was eight months ago? It's great info...I was just curious, lol.

ToddStone 01-21-2013 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwatson (Post 549506)
When mine stopped working, it was the outside air blender door. It had broke off and fallen over the top of the blower motor. I removed the blower (3 screws) and stuck my hand up in the hole and just removed the door and then puit the blower back in. Took about 10 minuutes once I figured out what had happend. Maybe yours is the same thing?

Thanks for the information. I live in Spokane and as you know it's pretty cold this year and I just bought the truck. My wife has complained multiple time about not getting any heat to her feet. Maybe now I can fix it.

R-Bob 02-18-2013 08:55 AM

I had the sam xact issue

But I also had a leaking heater core which is technically unrelated.

After spending saturday stripping my dash down to the firewall to get the HVAC plenum out, I found that I had a bad motor (I believe) It ohm'ed out at around 230ohms when the other three were right at 82-83 ohms. The blend door was cracked but not quite non functional. After putting all back together. I still had the malfunctioning controls but my leaking heater core was corrected.

I am fairly certain that my problem now goes back to the HVAC control panel/servo control. I will be trying that today.