DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Newbie Checkin! (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Intoduction and advice on 2011 Ram R/T Single cab (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=72579)

1stRAMowner 01-26-2011 01:06 PM

Intoduction and advice on 2011 Ram R/T Single cab

Hello, I purchased a 2011 Ram R/T Sport single cab about a week ago. This is my first Dodge vehicle and I must say that I am very impressed by the performance and looks of my truck. It is cherry color and has factory 22inch rims that make you say wow. Only problem is that I think they could of made the truck sound a bit louder. So on that note, what exhuast system do you suggest I put on the truck. I was told by a local shop that I should put on the CORSA exhaust and that it would run me around 1,200 installed, which I though was very high. What do you all suggest. I am working offshore in Africa on a oil rig and wont be back to the states until 5 weeks. I am itching to get in my truck and take it out for a cruise. Poor thing is sitting in my garage begging to get used. I plan on putting on KN cold air intakes and some exhaust. What do you guys think.

wermbang 01-26-2011 01:16 PM

Welcome to the site!

erm 01-26-2011 01:19 PM

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new truck!

Picking an exhaust system is very subjective. What sounds good to one person doesn't sound so good to another.

You might want to spend some time watching and listening to the vids here and on the mfgr's websites to see if any particular make exhaust sounds better to you.

I prefer the Magnaflow mufflers. Nice sound when cruising, not intrusive to the cabin, definitely loud at WOT.

There are a lot of ways to approach this exhaust thing. Folks will go all out with a complete catback system. Many do NOT have resonators on them and find the drone unbearable when the engine slips into MDS mode. So they end up installing some resonators at the back end to cut down on the obnoxious noise.

Some owners just go for a muffler change out, removing the stock unit and replacing it with a Flowmaster, Magnaflow, Borla or other muffler; re-using the stock tailpipes and resonators. This appears to be the most cost effective method. The stock system seems to have some good quality pipe.

In my case, since I don't have MDS, I swapped out my system with a single in / dual out Magnaflow muffler with new pipes and tips at the back. No resonators on it at all and I like that sound. However, as I mentioned, with MDS this arrangement will drone.

Good luck with your choices!

iRESQu 01-26-2011 01:42 PM

Hello and welcome aboard the ForumZ. Great to have you! CONGRATS on your new R/T, be sure to stop by the R/T section and meet that group of guys and swap ideas! Can't wait to see pics of your new girl! And it looks like Maddog has some great advice for you.

RamTech 01-26-2011 02:40 PM

I'm with Michael on this one. I think Magnaflow or Borla will give you what you want. Go to YouTube and do a search for Hemi + whatever exhaust you want to hear, and you can listen to sounds clips to help you decide.

1stRAMowner 01-26-2011 02:47 PM

1stRAMowner

MADDOG thanks for the advice. I will listen to the sounds of diffrent exhaust as you have suggested, that way I can be ready for when I return home to install the exhaust.
Again thank you guys for your advice.

five0addiction 01-26-2011 06:38 PM

welcome to the forumz

Bozo 01-26-2011 06:47 PM

Welcome from NC!! I had the stocker removed and a Thrush muffler installed. I love the idle and WOT sound and it doesn't have a bad drone at cruising speeds.

GeauxHunting 01-26-2011 06:49 PM

Welcome to the site! And I think MADDOG about covered it.

TALLA 01-26-2011 07:10 PM

hello and welcome to the forumZ