DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=199)
-   -   Check trailer brake warning (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=72597)

lwalston 01-26-2011 04:55 PM

Check trailer brake warning

I posted this problem a few weeks ago. I keep getting an error message on the dash and also the never ending beep when I press the brake pedal "CHECK TRAILER BRAKE WIRING" it only seems to do it in wet or damp weather. it was fine last night , when I started it up this morning it was raining ,I got the warning as soon as I pressed brake pedal to put truck into gear. I have had the truck to the dealer twice and they keep telling me it is a trailer problem. I have not pulled a trailer yet and told them that. They said they checked the controller and it works fine. Can anyone tell me if I should look for a bare wire? Grounded wire? what color the trailer brake wire is?

Les

RamTech 01-26-2011 05:35 PM

Sounds like a water intrusion issue for sure. Did the dealer sscan the trailer brake controller?

lwalston 01-26-2011 05:38 PM

I'm not sure about the sscan , they did say they hooked the computer up to it.

Arctic Owl 01-31-2011 10:25 PM

Your dealer needs to get some tech help from Chrysler. He is not acting on your problem with good knowledge.
Without the trailer hooked up too the truck, all you should get when you turn on the key is; A reading on the controller of "8.8" with a yellow image of a trailer, & an explanation mark after it. It should go out in a few seconds & ONLY come on if you have a trailer hooked up & connected to the truck plug in. Once you have the trailer connected & turn on the key, you should get a reading of 6.0 or whatever you have set the "Gain' to. If you apply the controller manually, you should get a reading of 9.9 with the trailer hooked up. Now if you apply the brakes to the trailer with the foot pedal, you should get a 3 to 4 second delay & then get a reading of 10 then 20 then 30. This indicates the controller is working as required. The 10, 20, 30 indicates that there is 10% then 20% then 30% braking voltage going to your trailer brakes. This is the top reading you will get when the vehicle is stationary. The Controller is a Proportional type controller & is designed to give you more braking effort only when it can read decel from the combination units.
There is a new controller being released that is programmed to give more effort when pulling heavier trailers & allow the trailer braking to slightly lead the truck braking. The Controller has to be programmed to do this as there are no manual adjustments that can be made by the operator. I have been informed that this may change in programming for the new controllers in the near future. I know when, but cannot discuss that at this time.

lwalston 04-02-2011 05:50 PM

Brake controller update

Still having the same problem but now the check trailer brake wiring message comes on when I hit the brakes and if i turn the right signal on. it does this with no trailer

Les

Al E. Gator 04-03-2011 03:30 PM

The problem isn't in the controller, it's in the wires or trailer connector at the back. Best bets are a bad seal to the connector wiring allowing water intrusion or damage to the wiring between the connector and the firewall. Damaged wires is more likely if you off-road or have driven over road debris. Have the dealer test the trailer wiring (not the controller) including spraying water on the connector area if necessary.

Arctic Owl 04-03-2011 04:05 PM

I'm with you Al. There is nothing wrong with your controller. There has to be a problem with the trailer wiring connections in the truck. It certainly cannot be in a trailer as you have not hooked up to one as of yet, so the dealer is incorrect in stating it is the trailer wiring. Since it only appears to act up when there is moisture around, this certainly points at the connectors in the firewall area. Certainly cannot be the connections inside to your controller. JMHO

Reg

lwalston 04-03-2011 05:12 PM

Brake Controller

I have never been off road, I have 16,000 miles on the truck and have had the problem almost from the day I bought it. It has been to the dealer 5 times so far and have give up on them finding the problem. I started at the connector in the rear and working my way to the front checking the wires. I have done this twice already but this time cutting the tape/cloth off the wires so i can really see the wire. I don't like having to mess with the factory wires but I have to find the problem. I'm up to the fuel tank now and half to pull the tank down to check the wire. I'm open for suggestions if someone knows of an easier way to check the wires.

Les

Al E. Gator 04-04-2011 11:26 AM

When it is acting up remove power to the circuit and check for shorts betweeen all the wires one pair at a time at the connector with an ohmmeter. You can also leave power on and check for voltage from each wire to ground. During normal operation only pin 4 should be always hot. All other pins should only be hot when active i.e. only pin 6, right turn signal, and pin 4, always hot, should be hot when you turn on the right turn signal. BTW, the right turn signal and right brake light are on the same pin. This could be related to the warning conditons you last posted. The 7 pin diagram on this site should help. http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx My first thought is the problem is either internal to the rear connector or the connector that I expect you'll find at the firewall. Not sure about the new RAM, but my Ford van had a connector right under the firewall between the engine bay harness and the body harness. If I was the dealer I would have replaced the rear connector out of hand the first time you brought it in. Hope this helps.

lwalston 04-04-2011 12:18 PM

Thank you very much for the info, I will try it and post results

Les