DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.9L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Replacing Water Pump (Question) How do I remove fan from waterpump pulley (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=72683)

MMMMDude 01-27-2011 01:51 PM

Replacing Water Pump (Question) How do I remove fan from waterpump pulley

Need to replace waterpump on my '98 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Magnum V8 5.9L Quad-cab. I have already removed Radiator skirt. (I was able to remove skirt with fan still attached to waterpump pulley).
Next (after I empty radiator fluid) I need to remove (unscrew/unbolt) fan from waterpump pulley.
Is there a special tool I need to hold the waterpump pulley steady so I can un-screw the fan? Should I just unbolt the waterpump from the engine block with fan still attached? I will still need to remove fan from old waterpump pulley to attach to new waterpump.
Looking forward to any reply.
Thanks

RamTech 01-27-2011 02:57 PM

You need a 36mm wrench or large adjustable to fit the fan. Place a bar or screwdriver between the water pump pulley bolts to prevent the pulley from rotating.

SUL7ENAZ 01-27-2011 07:23 PM

wish I could chime in on this topic and help you. I replaced my water pump with a flow kooler unit but i didn't do the work myself. A friend who is a mechanic installed it for me for free. I was at work while the install happened. I don't think you will need a special tool but i may be wrong.

MMMMDude 01-27-2011 07:34 PM

Thanks for your reply,
The only bolt on the waterpump pulley is the middle bolt which holds on the fan assembly. I rented a set of wrenches from Advanced Auto and the 36mm wrench is slipping on middle bolt with only about 2 lbs of pressure. Must be wrong size. Advanced Auto wrenches also has 3 or 4 more wrenches in set. One other thing I noticed is there are 4 holes on pulley serrounding middle bolt (in a square shape around middle bolt). But again the only bolt on the pulley is the one in the middle holding on the fan/fan assembly. Maybe thay make a wrench with 4 little nipples which fit into the 4 holes serounding the middle bolt on that waterpump pulley.
I dont know
Any ideas ?

AJ1500 01-30-2011 07:27 PM

you are going to need a large adj or a whench that fits tight on the clutch fan nut
remember the nut is reverse threaded, I'm sure they make a proper half moon wrench with 2 pins to fit into the holes in the pully, however you can put 2 bolts in the holes and using a long bar to keep the pully from turning. you have to hit the wrench pretty hard with a hammer to get the clutch loose so make sure your bar doesn't bounce or it can damage your pully. once the clutch is off remove your belt and the pully and your at the WP. you don't have to hit the clutch as hard when you put it back as engine torque will tighten it more
I hope this helps

Okiespaniels 01-30-2011 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ1500 (Post 428555)
you are going to need a large adj or a whench that fits tight on the clutch fan nut
remember the nut is reverse threaded, I'm sure they make a proper half moon wrench with 2 pins to fit into the holes in the pully, however you can put 2 bolts in the holes and using a long bar to keep the pully from turning. you have to hit the wrench pretty hard with a hammer to get the clutch loose so make sure your bar doesn't bounce or it can damage your pully. once the clutch is off remove your belt and the pully and your at the WP. you don't have to hit the clutch as hard when you put it back as engine torque will tighten it more
I hope this helps

My truck didn't have the luxury of the pulley holes, so I just winged it with a big adjustable wrench and a short piece of pipe I put over the wrench handle to strike against. Took two attempts with a 24 oz ball pein but I got it. I left the fan belt on to provide some grip.

MMMMDude 01-31-2011 03:12 PM

Thanks so much for the replies. I was able to get the rad shirt out without removing the fan/fan assembly. After that I removed waterpump with fan/fan assembly still attached. Then was able to remove fan/fan assembly from waterpump at my work bench with a second set of hands. All down hill after that.
Again thanks for you replies.