DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.7L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=185)
-   -   Used 05 question (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=72732)

joelisthedude 01-27-2011 11:21 PM

Used 05 question

I am looking at a Ram that is at a local dealership to purchase and thought I would come to the one source online that I know wouldn't give me bS answers like the dealership would.

So here are the details: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi V8. It has 203,000 miles on it, remote entry and remote start (looks stock), cloth interior. The body is straight with no dings or scratches. The bed looks intact with no visible damage. Truck was local farm owned, serviced at that dealership.

They showed me the service records tonight, the guy did regular oil changes, the truck has had it's transmission fluids flushed and changed (couldn't see the miles when they did that), and they replaced some sort of front bearing, didn't get the exact name of it.

They are asking $9500 for it, the blue book retail value is $11,000. I know that the dodge motors, when taken care of, can last! But what about the rest of the truck? If any other 3rd gen owners of near the same year can comment on what their experience has been with their trucks, it would be much appreciated!

RamTech 01-28-2011 09:33 AM

Sounds like a good truck, and since you're serious about buying it, I'd recommend taking it to an independent shop and having them look it over.

davidonmars 02-01-2011 11:01 AM

I thought laramie meant it was leather??? price seems high to me :S I bought a 2004 with 63K on it for $9500 canadian. Black quad cab 4x4 with remote start and power locks. Immaculate shape inside and out, came with 33" nitto mud grapplers as well...

RamTech 02-01-2011 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidonmars (Post 430064)
I thought laramie meant it was leather??? price seems high to me :S I bought a 2004 with 63K on it for $9500 canadian. Black quad cab 4x4 with remote start and power locks. Immaculate shape inside and out, came with 33" nitto mud grapplers as well...

I'm thinking you got one helluva deal.

Route66indy 02-01-2011 11:11 AM

Sound good,but i agree take it somewhere and have it looked at. I believe the front bearing you are talking about was a recall they had on the front hub assembly.

RamTech 02-01-2011 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Route66indy (Post 430074)
Sound good,but i agree take it somewhere and have it looked at. I believe the front bearing you are talking about was a recall they had on the front hub assembly.

There's no hub recall for the 2005 model year.

davidonmars 02-01-2011 11:32 AM

i think for a truck with 200k plus thats alot of money to me though :S Get the tranny nice and hot and make sure all gears work and it shifts properly under WOT

Valve 02-01-2011 12:20 PM

Follow Randy's post.:smileup:And can negotiate the price down?
What other Ram's are in your area that you can compare? Check here?http://www.autotrader.com/.
Check to see what needs replacing if you buy it,Tires look good?Shocks,Battery,Original parts or replaced?Front end,Well mechanic will tell you that,But theres some things you can eye over before making next step.
Good-luck with your purchase.
Oh I'm sure theres some form of warranty? 30day or something or no with that many miles?

And like davidonmars just said above me:smileup:

hemidoc 02-01-2011 12:27 PM

I would say the hub your talking about was the wheel bearing assembly, cost about $400-500 to replace since the anti locking brakes are built into it.Have known a few Rams that has had the right side replaced for some reason it seems it is the one that fails

Valve 02-01-2011 12:29 PM

Hell you might get lucky here lol,With a negotiation.
200k one owner and you can see the Service records from dodge.
CarFax also just in case.

Yea I have an 05 Laramie ,And has just about every option available for that year 1500.
With no issues.