DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2010 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Engine Light update (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=72803)

kgb503 01-28-2011 06:15 PM

Engine Light update

So my engine light came on Wednesday.

Panicked, I checked the manual, and it said that a solid light wasn't too bad and to keep driving through several normal driving cycles, and then if it is still on, take it in. If it was a flashing light however, then it's time to worry.

Since I was due for an oil change and the dealer had sent me a coupon for a nice discount, I thought it was a perfect time to take it in. So I made an appointmet for this morning (Friday).
Of course when I started the truck this morning, the light went out...

The dealer told me that the truck runs diagnostics regularly on itself, and if it doesn't get/see/view the error (or whatever it was that told the light to go on) for three consecutive cycles, it will reset itself. This is what must have happened, as the dealer said there wasn't an error code stored in the system.

I'm thinking good news / bad news. Good that nothing major was wrong, bad news that these sensors might be really sensitive, and I could be seeing more of these (which always makes me panic).

I'm assuming that it wasn't just 'nothing', because I did notice for the two days that the light was on, that my ECO light wasn't coming on during my easy driving times. So I assume the engine wasn't shutting down some of the cylinders.. which would mean something was happening, or something had changed, to make it do that... unless of course the engine shuts off that feature when the light is on...???

I did read some other posts where people got problem codes... Not sure if anyone else experienced the light going off on it's own, with no codes, and if so, did anyone notice if the ECO was working or not?

Just worried since I will be starting to take longer drives and towing a trailer shortly, and would hate to have issues in the middle of nowhere...

RamTech 01-31-2011 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgb503 (Post 426799)
This is what must have happened, as the dealer said there wasn't an error code stored in the system.

This is an outright LIE! It takes 40 warm up cycles for a code to be deleted by the PCM. Depending on the nature of the code, it may take 80 warm up cycles to delete the code.

The definition of a warm up cycle (as well as I recall) is the temp of the engine changing a minimum of 60 degrees.

platinuminjected 01-31-2011 12:58 PM

check engin lights always freak me out too but i hope yours never comes on again and she runs like a dream lol

Win 01-31-2011 07:45 PM

^ It is actually 3 good trips to distinguish a MIL from the cluster, but will be a stored code when the vehicle is scanned, and 40 good warm-up cycles for the stored code to erase itself from whichever ECU it was stored in. Depending on the type of controller GPEC or NGC, stored codes can only be cleared by either scan-tool or battery disconnect.
And as for a warm up cycle, certain OBDII monitor parameters need to be met to classify it as a warm-up cycle, ie. certain change in engine temp as you said and a few others.

erm 01-31-2011 08:25 PM

What dealer are you going to? I want to avoid them!!!