DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2010 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   what does the traction control button do? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=72871)

snrusnak 01-29-2011 05:01 PM

what does the traction control button do?

I noticed that there is what appears to be a traction control button by the hazard lights, if I press this does the traction control come off? I just don't want to be fighting the truck while burning out. How exactly does the system work? Also, in the settings of the evic it has hill start assist? what is this and how does it work? Are there any other drivetrain management controls that I don't know of? Thanks.

rainhater1 01-29-2011 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snrusnak (Post 427422)
I noticed that there is what appears to be a traction control button by the hazard lights, if I press this does the traction control come off? I just don't want to be fighting the truck while burning out. How exactly does the system work? Also, in the settings of the evic it has hill start assist? what is this and how does it work? Are there any other drivetrain management controls that I don't know of? Thanks.

The traction control shuts off any correction for keeping the truck straight when getting into it. Evic this is when it goes into 4 cylinder econo mode, the hill assist will hold the truck on a hill so you don't have to keep your foot on the brake. ( Studebaker had this in the 40's) . There is the towing feature that keeps it from going into over drive and ecco mode.

snrusnak 01-29-2011 07:10 PM

So if I press that button to turn off the traction control I won't be fighting the truck to let the tires burn...correct? Also, I thought evic was electronic vehicle information center (aka that digital thing on the dash), and mds was the 4 cyl thing that the 4.7 doesnt have. If I take the torque management off with superchips and take the traction control off I think Ill be good. It just sucks that it cuts power to the wheels, LET ME CONTROL IT, there's a reason I put the pedal to the floor!!! lol

rainhater1 01-29-2011 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snrusnak (Post 427547)
So if I press that button to turn off the traction control I won't be fighting the truck to let the tires burn...correct? Also, I thought evic was electronic vehicle information center (aka that digital thing on the dash), and mds was the 4 cyl thing that the 4.7 doesnt have. If I take the torque management off with superchips and take the traction control off I think Ill be good. It just sucks that it cuts power to the wheels, LET ME CONTROL IT, there's a reason I put the pedal to the floor!!! lol

Thought that you were talking about the MDS, yes you want to turn everything off and have fun. Just like the old days. Just be sure that you can handle it. or buy and older 426 and have fun:LOL:

erm 01-29-2011 09:12 PM

Quote:

Correct, Correct and Correct.

snrusnak 01-30-2011 07:08 AM

Ok thanks for the help!

westxsrt10 01-30-2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

If you want total control with no nannies I suggest you better buy a Viper. Also plan on crashing the new Viper before you get it home.:sad:

snrusnak 01-30-2011 10:33 AM

I see you assume I'm a bad driver...lol

I used to work at a junk yard in high school and had the opportunity to drive a viper, not sure what specifically but I know it was a v10 and was probably early 2000's, I think it had 600 some hp. Very fast car but way out of control, it was as if you turn the wheel and it didn't understand what that meant, lol. My dad's neighbor bought a z06, WAY better car for the money, alot more fun and way more user freindly, plus it gets 30mpg hwy.

therock2086 01-30-2011 10:55 AM

the hill start assit is when your on a hill of 7 degrees or more, it will for a second apply the brakes and you wont roll backwards. I have the evic on mine (4.7) but not the mds

westxsrt10 01-30-2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snrusnak (Post 428103)
I see you assume I'm a bad driver...lol

I used to work at a junk yard in high school and had the opportunity to drive a viper, not sure what specifically but I know it was a v10 and was probably early 2000's, I think it had 600 some hp. Very fast car but way out of control, it was as if you turn the wheel and it didn't understand what that meant, lol. My dad's neighbor bought a z06, WAY better car for the money, alot more fun and way more user freindly, plus it gets 30mpg hwy.

I had both at the same time..07 Zo6 and the 08 Viper....sold the Vette after a few months because I didnt want or need help driving it. The Vette is better as a everyday driver for sure. The 2000 Viper is 450 hp, 2008 is 600 hp. There is a huge misconception out there stating a Viper is uncontrollable..note the stock 08 Viper holds the track record at Nuremberg (beat the Zr1) and other $500,000- over 1 million $ cars.