DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   V10 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=214)
-   -   Cat Rattle (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=72908)

jjklongisland 01-29-2011 11:57 PM

Cat Rattle

I have a question. I am the recent owner of a 97 Ram 2500 with the V-10 and I am experiencing an annoying catalytic converter rattle especially at idle. My research has shown me it seams to be common. My question is if I remove the cat or have a shop hollow them out; what if any, bad things could happen. On a 97 are all the O2 sensors prior to the cat? If the cat is after the sensors and I remove it will I throw codes and get a check engine light? Will I gain any noticeable improvements in exhaust tone and performance? I dont think I want to replace the cat and in the future I would like to upgrade the exhaust, once I find one that sounds good which seams to be difficult with the 10 cylinder.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

RamTech 01-31-2011 11:01 AM

Your truck has 4 O2 sensors. I'm surprised you don't have a MIL lamp on with a rattling cat at this point. Hollowing out the cat's may provide a minor performance increase but I doubt you'll hear a big difference in the exhaust tone. Gutting the cats can cause a MIL to come on but there are ways to fool the PCM into thinking it's there.

jjklongisland 01-31-2011 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamTech (Post 429124)
Your truck has 4 O2 sensors. I'm surprised you don't have a MIL lamp on with a rattling cat at this point. Hollowing out the cat's may provide a minor performance increase but I doubt you'll hear a big difference in the exhaust tone. Gutting the cats can cause a MIL to come on but there are ways to fool the PCM into thinking it's there.

Thanks for the info, now if the 02 sensors are prior to the Cat then how will it throw the the code? My main focus is to just reduce the rattle at this point. Some people have said removing the cat increased fuel mileage but I think its most likely negligible.

RamTech 01-31-2011 11:25 AM

Two of the sensors are upstream of the cat and two are downstream. The upstream sensors are used as part of the closed loop fuel calculation and the downstream sensors are for monitoring cat condition and efficiency.

jjklongisland 01-31-2011 04:50 PM

OK Thanks!

sledneckforlife 07-03-2011 09:30 AM

I removed the cats and the huge muffler that came on my 2001 v10 stock...It will make your truck louder and from my experience so far , it will not trip a check engine light..I added thrush (cherry bombs) and they sound good. I also left the pipe that the cats connected to open. Take them off and put them back on when it is inspection time!

moose94 03-30-2013 01:53 PM

i have a 94 v10 and i have some weird sounds and way to much heat coming off of my cats and muffler the cats are also glowing red anybody have any ideas