DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Public Safety (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   2011 Ford Explorer Police Interceptor (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=73253)

Travis 02-02-2011 06:04 PM

2011 Ford Explorer Police Interceptor

Our department is getting 2 new cruisers, and they are wanting to go with the Ford Explorer Police Interceptor. I live in an arear that gets a lot of snow, and has many back roads. The ground clearance only looks like a little over 7 inches for the explorer. I am trying to talk the department into getting Tahoes. Any pros or cons to either of these?

City Slicker 02-02-2011 09:38 PM

As far as SUV's, the state police here have a few Durango's, a couple Excursions, and a couple Tahoe's. The county police have a few Durango's and a couple Expeditions. The city cops have a few Durango's and a few Tahoe's. The Tahoe's are fairly new over here, but I like the looks of them the best. I've never measured them for ground clearance, though. I talked to a state trooper who said the Durango's did fine in last year's snow, but I haven't heard reviews on any other SUV yet.

916Timmy 02-02-2011 09:53 PM

Get some power wagons!!!

BigSwede 02-02-2011 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 916Timmy (Post 431834)
Get some power wagons!!!

Make a power wagon durango!

They have Tahoes and Expeditions around here. Pretty BA looking vehicles. Not sure if the Tahoes are 4x4 or not, they have high speed street tires mounted on them.....

Toms Blue Ram 1500 02-02-2011 11:02 PM

Expeditions , Jeep Cherokee , Jeep Liberty and toll facilities has a black Chevy pickup 4x4 (undercover) . I've seen the State Police in 3/4 ton 4x4 Ford diesels .

pjs1660 02-02-2011 11:04 PM

we had the early 80 caprices = fast mid 80s crown vics = comfy none were good in snow

CovertRam 03-25-2011 04:25 PM

The pursuit rated Tahoes are only in 2wd. They are horrible in the snow. A Crown Vic is much better. The pursuit rated Tahoes are also lowered at the factory.

The new Ford Police Interceptor SUV version I think is based on the Taurus platform.

What will your department be using the vehicles for? general patrol, K9, or or emergency response/tactical stuff?

jcasey10 03-27-2011 03:39 AM

Here in Marshfield, they're getting the new Tahoes for police. The State troopers have some Ford F250's and the crown vics. The Tahoes look BA. Just don't look good for the snow.

918Dodge 03-30-2011 10:06 AM

Our guys use the tahoe and ford expedition. We have road package tahoes for the K9 & Turnpike guys (run 145mph) and some are even coming in as slick tops! Our Lake Patrol guys have 4x4 tahoes (run 95mph) and our commerical vehicles guys have mix of tahoes and expeditions (4x2). I love theer Tahoes, they look mean and if you get the road police package they are FAST.

Travis 04-10-2011 02:35 PM

we would mostly be using the vehicle for patrol purposes. We wouldn't need it for K9 or anything like that. In the area I'm in, there are a lot of turns, no interstate or anything, but some back roads, which lead to off roading situations to get to some places that less than law abiding citizens frequent, so it needs to have some ground clearance. Right now we are looking at the Tahoe and the Expedition. The Tahoe's look better, but not sure about the Fords. The new Durango would be nice, but it isn't on the contract yet for our department to buy.